Lions hockey face defending division champions this weekend

MADELINE RAINERIReporter

Men’s American Collegiate Hockey Association Division I ice hockey will face off against the defending champions, University of Central Oklahoma, in Edmond, Oklahoma this weekend.

The University of Central Oklahoma Bronchos received 29 first-place votes prior to the start of the season, putting them first in division rankings, according to the ACHA website. Lindenwood advanced two spots in the rankings to sit at the No. 6 spot.

The Bronchos sit at the top spot with a 5-0-0 record during this current season. The Bronchos began their season against the Missouri State Bears on Sept. 28 and won by one goal. Lindenwood beat the Bears on Sept. 24 with a 3-2 overtime win.

Lindenwood played against the University of Central Oklahoma four times during the 2016-2017 season, according to Lindenwood Athletics. The first two games played almost a year ago, resulting in a 3-2 overtime loss for Lindenwood during the first game and a 5-2 win in the second game.

The next matchup occurred in November of 2016, and the Bronchos shut out Lindenwood, scoring three goals in total the entire weekend with no returning goals from the Lions.

“We are excited and eager to play them,” sophomore Jordan Klimovsky said. “We have had a good start to the season and we are trying to keep it rolling. The University of Central Oklahoma is going be tough competition, and we are ready.”

The games this weekend are on Friday and Saturday in Edmond, Oklahoma, at the Arctic Edge ice rink. The puck drops Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m.