Lindenwood wins one of two games against Robert Morris

Number 5 Mitch Riese, 18 Cade Owad, and 21 Jake Townsend skate out for a shift during their game against the Robert Morris Eagles on Sunday, Nov. 5 at the Wentzville Ice Arena. Townsend had an assist in the previous night’s game.
Photo by Madeline Raineri.

MADELINE RAINERI | Reporter

Lindenwood won it’s their first matchup against Robert Morris this weekend on Saturday, but fell 2-1 in overtime on Sunday.

Saturday night’s game was played at the Wentzville Ice Arena, Lindenwood scored two goals and both goals for the Lions were scored on a power play, according to Lindenwood Student Life Sports. 

The Robert Morris took a lead early in the first period at the 3:22 mark. Five minutes later, Lindenwood’s sophomore defenseman Aapo Nurminen scored with assistance from Michael Lozano and Jake Townsend.

Scoring resumed in the second period when Lindenwood scored their last goal of the game. Senior forward Michael Lozano scored a goal of his own on the power play with help from teammates Tommy Heinzman and Hayden Dawes.

The third period remained goalless, giving Lindenwood their first win of the weekend against the Robert Morris Eagles.

The match against Robert Morris on Saturday was the first game goalie Michael Hails had played in three weeks after an injury. Hails stopped 34 of the Eagles 35 shots on goal.

Sunday’s game began at 4 p.m. and saw no scoring from either team during the first period.

The Lions initiated scoring though, in the second period when junior forward Hayden Dawes scored at 19:06 , assisted by Aapo Nurminen and Michael Lozano, according to the ACHA website. 

The scoring in the third period was done solely by Robert Morris, forcing the two teams into a 3-on-3 overtime.

At 1:37 in overtime, Robert Morris scored the game-winning goal, handing the Lindenwood Lions their third overtime loss of the 2017-2018 season.

Goalie Michael Hails stopped 29 of the 31 shots on goal from Robert Morris during his second game back. Lindenwood had 38 shots on goal against the Eagles.

The Lions will play the last games of a five-weekend at home stretch next weekend Friday, Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. and Nov. 11 at 4 p.m. at the Wentzville Ice Arena against the Missouri State Bears.