Spring sports series: Tony Francis

In+a+file+photo+from+2017%2C+Lindenwoods+Charisse+Willams+tries+to+get+a+layup+past+Washburns+Denesia+Smith+at+the+Hyland+Arena+in+St.+Charles.%0A+Photo+by+Walker+Van+Wey.+
In a file photo from 2017, Lindenwood’s Charisse Willams tries to get a layup past Washburn’s Denesia Smith at the Hyland Arena in St. Charles.
Photo by Walker Van Wey.

MICHELLE SPROAT | Video Content Manager

Video from Lion Pride Sports

Andrew Rogers from Lion Pride Sports at Lindenwood University spoke with women’s basketball head coach Tony Francis about his transition from livestock and farming to coaching basketball at Lindenwood. 

This segment is part four of a 10-part series of interviews with the head coaches of spring sports teams. 

The season so far

The Lindenwood women’s basketball team was off to a rocky start during exhibition games at the beginning of November, losing 77-56 against Saint Louis University and 75-48 against Missouri State University. 

However, the Lions had a comeback in the MIAA/GAC Challenge Nov. 10-11 when they defeated Southern Arkansas University 90-54 and University of Arkansas at Monticello 64-40. 

The winning streak continued through November and into the first day of December with victories over Fontbonne University, University of Illinois Springfield, St. Louis College of Pharmacy, McKendree University and Central Christian College of the Bible. 

The remainder of December was a roller coaster for the team with three wins and one loss in MIAA play. 

To start off the new year, the team defeated Northeastern State University on Jan. 4 with a score of 66-53. Following this win, the Lions dropped three games to MIAA competitors. On Jan. 6, the team fell to University of Central Oklahoma 86-76. The following Thursday, Jan. 11, the Lions lost to Missouri Southern State University 71-65. In its most recent game on Jan. 13, the team fell to Pittsburg State University 80-68. 

The team is now 10-7 in the overall season and 2-6 in MIAA conference play. 

The Lindenwood women’s basketball team will be back in action on Jan. 18 as they take on Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar, Missouri.