Men’s ice hockey sweeps Central Oklahoma at last home series

Seniors+Mike+Lozano%2C+Alexander+Carlsson%2C+Graham+Zagrodney%2C+Mitch+Riese%2C+and+Brett+Bauza+line+up+to+start+off+the+game+on+senior+night.+The+Lions+went+on+to+win+the+game+3-0+on+Jan.+20.+File+photo+by+Kayla+Bakker.+
Seniors Mike Lozano, Alexander Carlsson, Graham Zagrodney, Mitch Riese, and Brett Bauza line up to start off the game on senior night. The Lions went on to win the game 3-0 on Jan. 20. File photo by Kayla Bakker.

KAYLA BAKKER | Reporter

The Lindenwood Division 1 men’s ice hockey team ended their last home weekend with a sweep over the Central Oklahoma Bronchos.

Friday night’s game at the Wentzville Ice Arena ended with a 8-2 win over the Bronchos.

Dom Kolbeins, Nick Greene, Hayden Dawes, Vic Lombardi, Austin Wilk, Jake Townsend, Mitchell Riese, and Mike Lozano all scored to lift the Lions to a victory.

Friday night’s game was not only high scoring, but also came with many penalties from both sides.

In the first period, an Oklahoma player was ejected from the game for a slashing major. In the second period, another Oklahoma player was ejected from the game for unsportsmanlike conduct and abuse of the officials misconduct. Junior forward Hayden Dawes was also ejected from the game in the second period for a head contact game misconduct.

Saturday’s game started off by honoring the six seniors in their senior ceremony. Alexander Carlsson, Brett Bauza, Graham Zagrodney, Mitch Riese, Mike Lozano, and Michael Hails were celebrated for their past four years on the team.

“I never thought this day would come so quickly,” said senior goaltender Michael Hails. “I couldn’t think of a better organization to have been a part of. And I can’t thank Coach Zombo, Coach Abney, and Coach Flesch enough for the opportunity they presented me five years ago.”

Hails shutout the Bronchos stopping all shots on his senior night. Mike Lozano, Jordan Klimovsky, and Graham Zagrodney all added points to the Lions 3-0 victory.  

The Lions next play Iowa State University at ISU Arena in Ames, Iowa on Feb. 2 at 7 p.m. and Feb. 3 at 4 p.m. Both games will be streamed online.