Men’s D1 ice hockey sweeps Arkansas in last regular season games

Sophomore+forward+Nick+Greene+skates+down+the+ice+with+the+puck+at+the+Wentzville+Ice+Arena.+Greene+had+a+goal+and+two+assists+on+Feb.+16+against+the+Arkansas+Razorbacks.++Photo+By+Kayla+Bakker+
Sophomore forward Nick Greene skates down the ice with the puck at the Wentzville Ice Arena. Greene had a goal and two assists on Feb. 16 against the Arkansas Razorbacks.
Photo By Kayla Bakker

KAYLA BAKKER Reporter 

The Lindenwood men’s D1 ice hockey teams swept Arkansas in their last regular season games before starting playoffs next weekend. They go into playoffs with a record of 23-4-4.

Freshman goalie Cooper Seedott got the shutout Friday, Feb. 16 with the 5-0 win over the Razorbacks. Graham Zagrodney, Zach Mitchell and Nick Greene each had a goal and two assists. Alexander Carlsson and Vic Lombardi also scored.

“We came in knowing they weren’t the strongest opponent, but we didn’t let that change our game,” Greene said. “We needed to get in a groove for playoffs and play our game and not play at their level. Now the whole team is focused on the playoff picture and feeling good about our game.”  

The Lions won 8-2 Saturday, Feb. 17, to complete their sweep. Arkansas had both goals in the first period. Jordan Klimovsky and Mitchell scored in the first period to tie the game at 2-2. Alex Kalau, Cade Owad and Zagrodney all scored in the second period, and Jake Townsend, Mitchell Riese and Mike Lozano scored in the third period.

The Lions played 15 weekend series this season, eight of which have been a sweep.

Next weekend, Feb. 23-25, the Lions travel to Athens, Ohio, for the Central States Collegiate Hockey League playoffs. In March the American Collegiate Hockey Association Division 1 national championship tournament will take place in Columbus, Ohio.