Men’s lacrosse uses second-half onslaught to beat Wheeling Jesuit

Lindenwood lacrosse player Max Hood runs down the field in the Lions’ 10-7 win over Wheeling Jesuit on Feb. 27 in Hyland Arena.
Photo by Andria Graeler.

ANDRIA GRAELER | Reporter

NICK FEAKES | Sports Editor

The men’s lacrosse team played a hard game of back and forth with the Wheeling Jesuit Cardinals as it came from behind to win 10-8.

The Lions scored seven second-half goals, including three from Colin Domek, after heading into halftime down 6-3. Domek has now scored 10 goals in the Lions first three games of the season.

The Lions started the game strong as Sam Heaton scored the first goal just over a minute into the game. Heaton added his second with three minutes left in the first period. 

The Lions’ midfielders and defense struggled to keep the Cardinals attack at bay during the second period, as they scored four goals to take a 6-3 lead.

The Lions began their comeback 31 seconds into the third period as Colin Domek scored. Garrett Brunsvold would put another shot past the Cardinals goalkeeper just over a minute later. Domek got his second goal thanks to an assist from Sean Darroch to tie the game up at 6-6. 

The fourth period started much like the third as Robbie McCarthy scored to give Lindenwood a 7-6 lead. Three goals from the Lions in the last five minutes of the fourth period proved enough to close out the game. The win was the Lions third in a row.

The Cardinals’ tight defense almost overcame the Lions, but Lindenwood played aggressively enough to more than double Wheeling Jesuit’s shot count, 48-22.

Lindenwood will next face Limestone College (1-2) at noon on March 10 in Hyland Arena.