Women’s lacrosse aiming for 50th straight conference win

Lindenwood women’s lacrosse player Shannon Modl runs with the ball against Florida Southern College at Hunter Stadium on Feb. 26, 2017.
Photo by Carly Fristoe

NICK FEAKESSports Editor

The No. 3 Lindenwood women’s lacrosse team (11-0) will look to win its 50th conference game in a row this Saturday at 1 p.m. when it takes on Rockhurst University (7-4).

Dominance is nothing new to the Lions as the team is undefeated in conference action since transitioning to the NCAA in 2012.

“Being so dominant in the RMAC conference is something the team and I really take pride on,” All-American Sophie Buelow said. “We work extremely hard throughout the year not just for ourselves, but for the alumni and future Lions.”

They have played their opponents on Saturday, Rockhurst, four times. In those four games the Lions have scored 72 goals to Rockhurst’s 4.

The Lions have had a red-hot start to the season, winning 11 games in a row. In those 11 games the Lions have been averaging 17.7 goals per game. The Lions have also been commanding on defensive side of the ball, conceding an average of six goals a game.

A key factor in the Lions success has been the play of Buelow, Hannah Doughty, Cassie Stucklen and Allison Hurley. The quartet has scored 112 of the Lions’ 195 goals this year.

The Lions’ latest result was a 25-13 win over McKendree, in which Allison Hurley scored seven goals.

Buelow credited the team’s chemistry with their success thus far. “One of the main reasons for our success thus far is the chemistry we have on and off the field. We understand each other’s tendencies, which allows us to be creative,” she said.