Baseball scores season-high 17 runs in win over Southwest Baptist

Pitcher Andrew Eilers, No. 21, delivers a pitch in Lindenwood’s 17-6 win over Southwest Baptist on Friday afternoon in St. Charles.
Photo by Kyle Rhine

KYLE RHINE | Reporter

The Lindenwood baseball team broke out for 17 runs in a 17-6 win over conference opponent Southwest Baptist University on Friday afternoon in St. Charles.

After a scoreless inning from Lions starter Andrew Eilers, the Lions scored five runs in the bottom of the first inning. The scoring was started by Ian Nelson’s one-out single, which brought in two runs. Vince Saladino followed with a double to right center field scoring Nelson and Drew Quinones. Paul Sherwood drove in the final run of the inning with a single through the left side of the infield.

Southwest Baptist responded with a run in the second inning, but the Lions’ offense continued to produce. Wes Degener started the inning with a single to left field and came around to score on a double down the left field line off the bat of D.J. Miller. Miller would then come around to score on a ground out off the bat of Neil Fischer.

D.J. Miller, No. 18, scores the Lions’ seventh run of the game in 17-6 win over Southwest Baptist in St. Charles.
Photo by Kyle Rhine

The Bearcats cut Lindenwood’s lead to two after scoring four runs the next two innings highlighted by a two-run home run.

In the bottom of the fourth, Quinones hit one of three Lion home runs on the afternoon adding to the lead. After a Bearcats run in the sixth inning, the Lions put up three runs in the bottom of the inning as Lindenwood led 11-6 heading into the seventh inning.

Lindenwood kept pouring it on in the seventh inning with six runs crossing the plate highlighted by home runs from Miller and Saladino.

Following the series win, the Lions are 16-18 on the season and will play their next game against McKendree University at 6 p.m. on April 11 in St. Charles.