Alumna living in California wins raffle for Cardinals-Giants first pitch

View from the top level of Busch Stadium at Lindenwoods student night at Busch Stadium on May 1, 2015. 

Photo by Carly Fristoe
View from the top level of Busch Stadium at Lindenwood’s student night at Busch Stadium on May 1, 2015.
Photo by Carly Fristoe

MIGUEL RINCAND | Reporter

A Lindenwood alumna who lives in California will be returning to the area to throw the first pitch at a St. Louis Cardinals game on Sept. 22.

The alumna, Maria Dillard, won the Lindenwood Cardinals First Pitch Raffle Monday, which gave alumni, staff, students and parents the chance to win four all-inclusive tickets and throw the first pitch at a Cardinals home game.

The idea for this raffle started when Lindenwood purchased a digital sign by left field at Busch Stadium. Part of the deal was that Lindenwood was given an opening pitch at a home game.

“Typically the president of the university would do that, but Dr. [Michael] Shonrock had the idea of doing this as a way to raise money for the Lions Reserve Fund,” said Chris Duggan, Director of Marketing and Communications.

The Lions Reserve Fund provides assistance to Lindenwood students who run out of financial aid before completing their degree.  

The game where Dillard will throw the first pitch is against the San Francisco Giants and it is scheduled to start at 12:05 p.m. at Busch Stadium.

Duggan said more than 260 raffle tickets were purchased by students, faculty, staff, alumni and parents, raising a total of $1,075 for the Lions Reserve Fund.