Women’s soccer falls to Missouri Southern State 0-1

Lions midfielder Bailey Bologna falls over Missouri Southern State’s Alex McCord during the second half.
Photo by Mitchell Kraus

MATT HAMPTON | Sports Editor

The Lindenwood Lions had their fourth loss of the season in a home match against Missouri Southern State University on Sept. 28.  

Lindenwood was fresh off the momentum of two straight road victories, and an enthusiastic crowd turned up to Hunter Stadium to watch the two Lions teams clash on a breezy Thursday night, but a goal by Missouri Southern in the last ten minutes of regulation gave the visitors a 1-0 win.  

The first half started out with early attacks from Lindenwood after midfielder Olivia Callipari took the first shot, which was blocked, in the first three minutes.  This was soon followed up with shots by sophomores Morgan Weller and Alaina White, but neither reached the back of the net.  

Later, Missouri Southern’s Carina Calderon made a shot on goal, which was saved by Megan Swanson.  The goalkeeper totaled seven saves on Lindenwood’s behalf in the game.  

The first period went on to include six shots by Lindenwood and three by Missouri Southern, but none of them scored. And for 20 minutes of play before halftime, both teams’ defenses were successful at depriving their opponents of an opportunity for a shot.  

Lindenwood also was responsible for the first shot of the second half, when midfielder Katie Juhlin’s header shot was blocked five minutes in. However, the contest did not continue smoothly for Lindenwood, who were outshot by the visitors 11-3 during the second period.  

Most of the the second half was just like the first: scoreless. But in the 80th minute, Missouri Southern’s Bailey Belcher scored from outside the box, giving them the advantage that decided the game.  

Lindenwood never recovered from their 0-1 deficit, but they did recover from their shot drought which lasted for most of the second half.  Before the final buzzer, Juhlin and junior Marissa Barria both made shots on goal, but both attempts were saved by goalie Luz Galindo.  Barria and Juhlin lead the team in shots, with two each.  

After the loss, Lindenwood is 1-1-0 in MIAA play and 4-4-1 overall this season, but the Lions have a chance to regain a winning record Sunday at 11 when they host the Southwest Baptist University Bearcats, who are on a six-game losing streak.