Field hockey goalie sets Lindenwood record in shut out against Bellarmine

Forward+Bridget+Hoogendijk+%28right%29+scores+off+a+pass+from+midfielder+Caro+Theunisz+%28left%29%2C+making+the+fifth+goal+of+the+night+against+Bellarmine+University+on+Oct.+6.%0A+Photo+by+Kayla+Drake+
Forward Bridget Hoogendijk (right) scores off a pass from midfielder Caro Theunisz (left), making the fifth goal of the night against Bellarmine University on Oct. 6.
Photo by Kayla Drake

KAYLA DRAKE | Multimedia Reporter

Field hockey goalie and senior Skylar Starbeck set a record in the last home game she will ever play.

Starbeck has recorded 39 victories in her collegiate career, becoming the goalie who has accrued the most wins in Lindenwood’s athletic history. 

The Lions senior night ended with their second shut out in a row, defeating Bellarmine University 6-0.. 

Within the first minute, midfielder Jessie Londono scored off a drive. 

The entire game the teams were fighting for possession, but the Lions took advantage of their shots on goal and the Knights’ defense could not shut them out. 

At halftime the score was 3-0. Then with 22:55 minutes left on the clock lightning caused a 30 minute delay, but that did not stop the Lions’ momentum.

Forward Mary Clare Banholzer had four shots on goal, and scored her third goal of the season in the 62nd minute. 

With 30 seconds to go, the Lions were up 5-0 and a penalty was called in their favor. Forward Bridget Hoogendijk hit a drive from the corner to senior Kaitlin MacLennan, who scored with four seconds to spare.

The Lions’ record is now 8-2. This was the Lions’ last home game this season, but their next game is Friday, Oct. 19 against West Chester University of Pennsylvania, who is currently on a seven-game winning streak.