Women’s volleyball splits weekend matches on the road

Allyson Clancy serves a ball during practice at the beginning of the season in October 2018. Clancy now holds Lindenwood’s program record for assists and is the first NCAA player to record 3,000.
Photo by Merlina San Nicolás

MINA SAN NICOLAS LEYVA | Reporter

The Lindenwood women’s volleyball team traveled to their last two away tournaments in Kansas before their last two home matches next weekend.

The Lions were defeated on Friday when they faced Washburn University, losing 0-3 to the Ichabods with sets of 22-25, 17-25 and 12-25.

Alexa Pressley was the leader of the Lions with 10 kills and 12 digs, while Bailey Dvorak added eight kills and Allyson Clancy posted 30 assists.

At this point, the Lions needed to defeat their next opponent, Emporia State University, in order to find themselves in a suitable position to earn a spot in the MIAA conference match.

The next day, the Lions successfully swept Emporia, dominating the first two sets 25-15 and 25-17.

The third set was closer, but the Lions managed to defeat Emporia 25-23, successfully keeping a tied eighth spot in the conference.

Allyson Clancy, a senior from Colorado, became the first NCAA setter to record 3,000 assists. Clancy also matched Lindenwood’s program assists mark with 3,061, beating the old record set by Emma Brydels in 2011.

“It’s incredibly bittersweet. It’s been a long time coming but at the same time it’s a lifestyle,” Clancy said about graduating and wrapping up her time as a collegiate athlete.

The Lions will have a non-conference match on Tuesday and will compete on Friday and Saturday to secure their spot in the final MIAA match.