Jowers’ double overtime goal puts women’s soccer past Bearcats on senior day

Midfielder+Bailey+Bologna+during+the+game+against+Northwest+Missouri+State+on+Oct.+28.+++Photo+by+Maria+Escalona.++
Midfielder Bailey Bologna during the game against Northwest Missouri State on Oct. 28.
Photo by Maria Escalona.

CALEB RIORDAN | Reporter 

It was the last regular season game as well as the last home game for the Lions, as they looked to end their season on a good note against Northwest Missouri State University.

Sophomore goalie Megan Swanson drew the start for the Lions while freshman Alexis Serna Castillo got the start for the Bearcats.

It was a tightly contested battle, but the Lions had a slight edge throughout the game.

It has been a struggle for the Lions to create scoring chances in their last few games, but they were able to get off eight shots in the first half against the Bearcats. They did not reach eight shots overall in four of their last five games.

The Lions did not score in the half, but they were not shy about shooting their shot. The Bearcats registered three shots in the half and also were not able to score, leaving it tied 0-0 at half.

The second half was much of the same for both sides. The Lions registered seven more shots to the Bearcats’ four. Again, neither team was able to score. Senior day was headed to overtime.

Once again, the Lions had the advantage in shots, as they outshot the Bearcats 2-0 in the first overtime period. Both sides kept their shutouts alive as the first overtime ended. Still 0-0, the second overtime began.

It was much of the same in the second overtime period. Both sides were ready to go to penalty kicks when Lindenwood freshman Emily Jowers made her mark on the game.

With nine seconds left in the second overtime period, Jowers fired the ball past the goalie into the upper right corner of the goal, and gave the Lions the 1-0 victory. Junior Marissa Barria registered the assist on the goal.

Swanson played all 110 minutes and made four saves in her fourth shutout of the season for the Lions. Serna Castillo made six saves for the Bearcats. The Lions outshot the Bearcats 21-8 overall and 7-4 in shots on goal.

The Lions end their regular season with a 7-9-2 record overall and 4-6-1 in MIAA conference play. The Lions await their postseason draw, pending other MIAA conference results.