Men’s basketball winning streak snapped by No. 1 Bellarmine

The Northwest Missouri State Bearcats outscored the Lions 40-18.
Graphic by Kyle Melchior

CALEB RIORDAN | Reporter

The men’s basketball team’s four-game win streak came to an end Wednesday when the team took on No. 1 ranked Bellarmine University in Louisville, Kentucky.

The first half was a struggle for the Lions as they shot 37.5 percent from the field, 12.5 percent from 3-point range and committed 10 turnovers. The Knights came out firing and took an early 12-2 lead. They made 58.3 percent of their shots from the field and 53.8 percent from beyond the arc. Lindenwood was unable to catch the Knights and trailed 43-25 at the half.

Senior Drew Moore led the way for the Lions at the half registering nine points. Senior Adam Eberhard had 9 points and 4 assists for the Knights at the half. Junior Ben Weyer followed closely behind with 8 points and 6 rebounds.

The second half was a different story for the Lions. They were able to find a groove offensively, and made 50 percent of their shots from the field. Senior guard Adam Pohlman and sophomore forward Diego Womack scored 9 points each, followed closely by junior Luka Radosevic with 7 points. The Knights were able to hang close as Weyer added another 9 points and junior Alex Cook scored 10.

The Lions outscored the Knights in the second half, but they could not overcome the first half deficit, and lost 74-60. The win extended the Knights’ home-winning streak to 59 games.

“Bellarmine is a national championship-level team,” Head Coach Lance Randall said. “We settled into a better rhythm defensively in the second half; they’re too good of a team to dig yourself a hole against. There is a reason they haven’t lost at home in the last five years.”

Womack tallied 13 points and six rebounds to lead all Lions. Pohlman and Moore each contributed 11 points as well. The Lions also did not miss a free throw in this game, going 11-11.

Weyer contributed a double-double for the Knights, scoring 17 points and grabbing 10 boards. Cook played 25 minutes and contributed 17 points off the bench.

The Knights held the advantage in points off turnovers 17-10. They also led in bench points 25-13. The Lions were able to grab the advantage in second chance points 13-6. The Knights had a slight edge in points in the paint 28-22.

The loss brings the Lions record to 6-4. Next, they travel to St. Joseph, Mo., to take on Missouri Western on Dec. 6 to start their MIAA conference play.