Lindenwood hosts Conference Cyclocross Championships

Sammi Runnels rides through the volleyball courts next to Evans Commons during the Conference Cyclocloss Championships on Dec. 1.
Photo courtesy of Callum Holloway.

MINA SAN NICOLAS LEYVA | Reporter

Lindenwood hosted the 2018 Conference Cyclocross Championships, where winners got automatic spots to compete at nationals.

On Saturday, the format was a single-day race with three different categories for both men and women. Non-students with a USA cycling permit were allowed to race as well.

Sammi Runnels, a professional racer and freshman at Lindenwood, won the race on Saturday in the varsity division and earned a spot in her fourth nationals.

Runnels said she already knew one of the racers, Laurel Rathunburg, and waited for the perfect moment to take the lead in the race.

“I waited for her to make a mistake and passed her,” Runnels said. “From that point, I rode the front of the race and didn’t look back.”

The Missouri State Championships also took place at Lindenwood on Sunday. Both races took place behind the tennis courts and Pfremmer pond next to Evans Commons.

The Lions will have another competition in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, before nationals. Nationals will take place in Louisville, Kentucky, from Dec. 11 through Dec. 16.