Baseball goes 0-3 vs Central Missouri

Graphic by Jennifer Wunder

DANIEL BRICKHAUS | Reporter

The Lindenwood baseball team lost all three games against Central Missouri over the weekend in Warrensburg, Missouri.   

The Lions lost game one 1-0, game two 5-10 and game three 3-7.

In game one, Kyle Hentis allowed just one run on five hits in the 8 2/3 innings he pitched. Hentis tallied eight strikeouts in the contest. The Lions struggled offensively after only mustering up three hits in the game. 

Lindenwood stranded two runners in the first inning, and stranded Bryce Beckmann at second after he hit a one-out double in the seventh inning.  

In game two, Kolby Schulte opened the day with a solo blast to left field on the fourth pitch of the game to quickly grab momentum.   

Ryan Venne added to the lead with a two-run shot to right field, giving the Lions a 3-0 lead after two innings.   

The Mules began to climb back with a run in the third an another in the fourth to make it a one-run game. Central Missouri took the lead on one swing in the fifth inning with a three-run home run to make it 5-3 in favor of the Mules. 

Bryce Beckmann cut into the deficit with an RBI single to centerfield in the sixth inning.  

The Lions tied the game at 5-5 in the top of the seventh after Neil Fischer drove in Schulte on a sacrifice fly to centerfield.   

Central Missouri regained its lead and didn’t look back after scoring two runs in the seventh and three in the eight, winning game two by a 10-5 margin.   

The Lions stranded 11 runners and made six errors in the field on Saturday. 

In game three, the Lions were down three runs heading into the top of the sixth, and the bats finally made some noise late in the game.   

Mitchell Krebs hit a double to right center with one out, later scoring on a two-RBI double by Fischer. The two runs cut the Central Missouri lead to one run heading into the bottom half of the inning.

Central Missouri scored four runs on five hits in the bottom of the sixth, extending its lead to 7-2.  

The Lions scored a run in the top of the seventh inning, but could not find the runs to climb back in game three and would end up losing 7-3 to the Mules.  

Lindenwood will take on Missouri-St. Louis on Tuesday at 3 p.m. before returning to conference action.