Women’s hockey head coach dismissed after five losing seasons

Graphic by Jennifer Wunder

CALEB RIORDAN | Reporter

Lindenwood women’s hockey head coach Scott Spencer has been relieved of his coaching duties.

Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Brad Wachler announced Spencer’s dismissal after five seasons.

Success was scarce for Spencer and the Lions in the 2018-19 season. They finished with a record of 7-22-4 and 3-14-3 within the conference, last in the CHA.  

Spencer compiled a record of 42-112-13 overall and 26-64-10 within conference play throughout his tenure as the head coach.

In his first season, 2014-15, they recorded 10 wins and did so again in the 2017-18 season, for the most wins in the program’s history since joining the NCAA. In 2016-17 the Lions beat Mercyhurst in the first round of the CHA conference tournament before falling to Robert Morris in the semi-finals.  

Spencer has been a hockey coach for 15 years and has spent his last 12 years in women’s hockey. Before Lindenwood, Spencer was the Female Head Coach as well as Director of Female Hockey at the Pursuit of Excellence Hockey Acadamy in Kelowna, British Columbia. Spencer saw success developing the players within the academy’s program. All of his graduating players went on to play college hockey and also made the school’s honor roll.

He has been an assistant coach at Ohio State University and Robert Morris University. He was also an assistant at Bemidji State in their men’s hockey program.

Women’s hockey has not found success at Lindenwood since joining the NCAA. The program has never had a winning percentage higher than .400 and fell as low as .191 in 2013-14.

Before joining the NCAA, they had a few dominant seasons in the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA). The Lions look to translate their former ACHA success into NCAA success in the search for their new head coach.