Women’s field hockey wins home opener

Lindenwoods+Pauline+Terwindt+%28facing+camera%29+hugs+teammate+Taylor+Sullivan+as+Lauren+Roberts+%2811%29+and+Bridget+Hoogendijk+join+in+the+celebration+after+Sullivans+first-period+goal+Friday+night+against+Frostburg+State.+The+Lions+won+3-1.+
Photo by James Tananan Kamnuedkhun
Lindenwood’s Pauline Terwindt (facing camera) hugs teammate Taylor Sullivan as Lauren Roberts (11) and Bridget Hoogendijk join in the celebration after Sullivan’s first-period goal Friday night against Frostburg State. The Lions won 3-1.

BILLY WOODSReporter

Lindenwood women’s field hockey won its first home game against the Frostburg State University Bobcats 3-1 on Friday night.

The Lions returned to Hunter Stadium with a 1-1 record to face the Bobcats, who traveled 12 hours from Maryland for the match.

“This is the first time we’ve played Frostburg,” head coach Sarah Baumann said, “so we weren’t sure what to expect.”

In the home opener, the Lions’ energy was high, as the pressure applied by the defense led to only one shot attempt from the Bobcats.

“I think that our defense has worked really hard on man-to-man marking, really setting up our press early and communicating,” Baumann said. “Our defense was able to apply those things really well in the game tonight.

Taylor Sullivan scored her first career goal as a Lion, only seven minutes into the match. Lauren Roberts added the assist to the goal, her first of the season.

The Lions then extended their lead 2-0 when forward Pauline Terwindt assisted midfield Annick Giebels. The assist marked Terwindt’s first of the season and the goal marked Giebels’ first of the season.

Not even two minutes into the second half, Bridget Hoogendijk joined the fun, scoring her 41st goal of her career and the second of the season. The score pushed the lead to 3-0 in favor of the Lions.

The Bobcats followed Hoogendijk’s goal with one of their own. The rest of the match saw no more scoring from either side. Senior goalkeeper Mackenzie Litterest earned her second win of the season in goal for the lions.

The back-to-back wins, including the home opening win, follow the devastating double overtime loss in the Lions’ first match of the season.

“It’s always hard to start a season with a loss,” Baumann said. “But I think taking a good team to double overtime shows resilience and being able to swallow a loss and grow from it shows skill. It’s just realizing what you can control, and effort is controllable. We’re excited to get some home games in this weekend.”

The women’s field hockey team faces rival Limestone College at Hunter Stadium at 11 a.m. on Sunday.

Lindenwood’s Pauline Terwindt (right) moves the ball toward the goal as Frostburg State’s Emily Hughes defends and Lion Megan Martin (21) watches during the Lions’ 3-1 win over the Bobcats Friday.
Photo by James Tananan