Women’s soccer outlast Lewis University 1-0

Emily Jowers embraces Ava Burke (7) after the lone goal of the match to give Lindenwood the win against Lewis University on Sunday afternoon.
Photo by Billy Woods.

BILLY WOODS | Reporter

The Lindenwood women’s soccer team beat the Lewis University Flyers 1-0 at Hunter Stadium on Sept. 22 behind Maggie Miller’s goal in the 69th minute.

Coming into the match, the team was riding a three-game losing streak; all three games ending 1-0. The lone goal of the match was scored by Miller, who was assisted by Alaina White.

The match was a defensive battle, as each team took turns battling at midfield over possession of the ball for most of the match.

“Our defensive effort was fantastic,” head coach David Musso said. “Our goalkeeper Megan Swanson has been fantastic this year, we’ve played five games this season and she’s only allowed three goals, a big emphasis this offseason was to shape up our back four and Swanson has done a really good job behind them, directing traffic and leading.”

Swanson finished with two saves in the match, both at crucial points when Lewis University was gaining momentum. The Flyers had 12 shots and two shots on goal, with multiple shots hitting the top of the crossbar or barely missing.

The defensive pressure applied by the Lions forced the Flyers into tough possessions on the field. The Flyers were unable to attempt their first shot until the 27th minute. At that point, the Lions had attempted four shots of their own, none of them successful.  

Amanda Orlando picked up the first yellow card of the match for the Lions in the 27th minute. After that, the Flyers picked up two of their own, both of in the second half during the 49th minute and 51st minute.

Over the three-game losing streak, the Lions defense was as suffocating as they were against the Flyers.

“We haven’t caught many breaks, even though we’ve played really good soccer all season,” Musso said. “We just haven’t had the right bounces, we just have to keep playing our game and that stuff is going to come.”

The Lions attempted nine total corner kicks, with the one in the 69th minute being the successful kick to ultimately win the match.

“I love our energy, we could’ve felt bad for ourselves after Friday’s game where we had a red card and played down a woman, things didn’t go our way,” Musso said. “But we sucked it up, played better and found a way to win.”

The women’s soccer team will travel to the University of Southern Indiana on Sept. 27 to start a four-game road trip.