5 reasons to leave your dorm this weekend

Photo by Kat Owens

Here are five things to do before finals week.

Lynsey Aldam, Reporter

The fall semester is drawing to a close with the blink of an eye.

Thanksgiving break and finals are fast approaching before the holiday season is in full swing. But don’t let this cold weather shut you inside. Take advantage of the remaining weekends on campus and get out of your dorm to have some fun.

1. Liven up the bleachers at Lions hockey games

Skate on over to the newly built Centene Community Ice Center to support the women’s hockey team as they take on St. Cloud State University back-to-back this weekend.

• Women’s Hockey vs St. Cloud State University | Friday, Nov. 15 | 7:10 p.m. | Centene Community Ice Center

• Women’s Hockey vs St. Cloud State University | Saturday, Nov. 16 | 1:10 p.m. | Centene Community Ice Center

2.       Celebrate the 125th Anniversary of St. Louis Union Station

Friday, Nov. 15 & Saturday, Nov. 16 | 7:00 p.m. –  10:00 p.m. | St. Louis Union Station

On September 1, 1894, the St. Louis union Station opened to the public for the first time. This historic National Landmark was once the biggest and busiest terminal in the nation. In honor of 125 years of history, drive into STL to partake in the fun festivities. You can watch The Polar Express around a campfire as it will be screened in the newly renovated outdoor entertainment plaza, enjoy a free light and music show projected on Union Station lake, ride the St. Louis Wheel, and eat at the St. Louis Union Station Soda Fountain.

3.       It’s Sweater Weather with the Neighbourhood

Friday, Nov. 15 | 8:00 p.m. | The Pageant

American alternative rock band, the Neighbourhood (The NBHD)  take the stage at the Pageant tonight. Jam out to some of their dreamy and dark hits like “Sweater Weather” or “Female Robbery.” The show will be opened by Claud and Slow Hollows.

Doors open at 7:00 p.m. and the show starts at 8:00 p.m.

Buy your ticket here.

4.       Kick it with the St. Louis Ambush

Saturday, Nov. 16 | 4:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. | St Charles Family Arena

Are you a fan of local sports? Well you’re in luck. The St. Louis Ambush professional indoor soccer team is holding their annual Fan Fest this Saturday. Fan fest is free and for all ages. There will be on-field inflatables, alumni player autographs and photos with the Ambush Brigade Dance Team. Afterwards, stick around for the exhibition game against the Dallas Sidekicks at 7:00 p.m. After the game, fans are welcomed to head out onto the field for an autograph session with the Ambush team.

Click here for more information.

5.     Run to raise awareness for arthritis

Sunday, Nov. 17 | 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. | Olympia Athletics & Events Centre

Warm up this weekend by running the Jingle Bell Run in St. Louis. This 5K is one of the largest holiday themed races in St. Louis and raises funds and awareness for the Arthritis Foundation. Throw on an ugly sweater, tie jingle bells to your shoelaces or sport a Santa costume to help cure America’s #1 cause of disability.

For more information, click here.