LSG working for 4-way stop at reportedly dangerous Linden Terrace intersection

The+intersection+of+Karen+Street%2C+Patma+Street%2C+and+John+Weber+Drive+%28or+Sibley+Drive%29.++Currently%2C+stop+signs+are+in+place+on+the+Patma+and+John+Weber+sides+of+the+intersection%2C+but+two+more+may+be+added+on+Karen.+

Photo by Jessica Spivey

The intersection of Karen Street, Patma Street, and John Weber Drive (or Sibley Drive). Currently, stop signs are in place on the Patma and John Weber sides of the intersection, but two more may be added on Karen.

Alexis Montgomery, Culture Editor

Lindenwood Student Government has proposed adding stop signs on Karen Street to turn its intersection with Patma Street and John Weber Drive from a two-way stop into a four-way stop.

LSG President Daniel Kennebeck said some students want to add stop signs to make the intersection less dangerous.

“We’ve been getting student interest; the overwhelming majority of the students are saying putting in a four-way stop would be great since a lot of people fly through that intersection,” he said. “We’ve been building our case and we will present it to the city, hopefully they take it and run with it.”

LSG proposed the idea this semester, and the proposal went to University President John Porter and the administration. It was approved by the administration, but now it has to be approved by the City of St. Charles.

According to Jack Bedtke, LSG vice president for student relations and involvement, the stop signs must be installed by the city because the streets are public property.

LSG plans to present the proposal to the city by finals week, and the signs may go in as late as May 2020.

The intersection is located at the edge of Linden Terrace student housing near the president’s house on a section of John Weber Drive recently renamed “Sibley Drive” by campus street signs.

Porter said he agrees the intersection is potentially dangerous.

“I think it’s a good idea because […] people are just flying down some of these roads, and it is a little dangerous, even on campus, let alone outside campus.” he said.

He has not met with the city about the stop signs, but expects that they will be able to accommodate Lindenwood’s request.

Residents of Linden Terrace deal with the issue during the daily commute to class.

Many drivers choose to opt out of stopping at the current two-way stop, said Farah Thompson, who lives near the intersection.

“In the mornings, there’s a lot of people trying to get to class on time, and they do not follow the traffic laws by stopping at the stop sign,” Thompson said. “I think the issue is that there’s a lot of cars parked on both sides of the street so it’s very difficult for the driver to see if there are any cars coming. I do believe that a four-way stop should be better and less dangerous, especially at night.”

And LSG President Kennebeck said that if the proposed student townhouses are built, more students living in housing would further increase the need to keep the intersection safe.

News Editor Matt Hampton contributed to this story.