2020 primary elections coming Tuesday in Missouri

The+Missouri+Primaries+will+be+held+Tuesday%2C+March+10.+Photo+illustration+by+Matt+Hampton.++

The Missouri Primaries will be held Tuesday, March 10.
Photo illustration by Matt Hampton.

Alexis Montgomery, Culture Editor

Voters can cast their ballots in Missouri’s Presidential Primaries on Tuesday, March 10, from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Missouri residents can locate their polling place here. Out-of-state students, can absentee vote or vote by mail by visiting their state or territorial election office 

All but three candidates for the Democratic Party presidential nomination have dropped out, leaving only former Vice President Joe Biden, U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders, and U.S. Representative Tulsi Gabbard.  

Since Super Tuesday, Biden is leading with 639 delegates declared for him. Sanders follows with 564, and Gabbard has 2.

Biden is also ahead in the Missouri polls, according to an Emerson College poll showing him at 48% and Sanders at 44% this week.    

Sixty-eight delegates are at stake for the Democratic candidates in the Missouri primary. Missouri also has 10 super-delegates, whose votes are not allocated based on the results of the election.  

Four other states will be voting on March 10, with a total of 399 delegates 

Biden is hosting a “Get Out the Vote” event on Saturday in St. Louis. The doors open at 11 a.m. at Kiener Plaza Park.

Sanders will also come to St. Louis, holding a rally Monday at 11 a.m. in the Stifel Theater.  

Missouri is an open primary, which means voters do not have to register their party affiliation. A form of photo identification is requested to be able to vote. To vote, simply show up and ask for the party ballot you want.

Voters in Missouri can also vote in the Republican Primary, even though some other states have not held theirs this election.  President Donald Trump leads in the Republican Primary, with 833 out of the 834 delegates pledged so far.  Primaries for the Libertarian, Green, and Constitution Parties will also be held Tuesday.

Unfortunately for unregistered voters, the last day to register to vote for the Missouri primary election was February 12.   However, students can still register for the Nov. 3, 2020, general election up until Oct. 7.