File photo by Kat Owens
Graphic by Matt Hampton
File photo by Kat Owens
Graphic by Matt Hampton

Letter from the editor

May 14, 2020

Because we did not publish Link magazine this semester due to COVID-19, we present these stories, which were planned for the magazine, in its place.

Our purpose with the magazine has been to cover long-form stories about the lives of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members, and about current issues relevant to our generation.  We want to serve that same purpose with these stories, and I hope you enjoy reading them.  

Although the coronavirus has upended our semester, these stories will not be all about COVID-19.  However, we do have one pandemic-related story, in which Culture Editor Alexis Montgomery takes a look at ways the coronavirus has affected people’s relationships, and what impact it might leave on the future of dating.  

In the middle of an international sports shutdown, we want to include some stories which celebrate Lindenwood athletes and their struggles, history, and achievements.

Our cover story by News Editor Merlina San Nicolás Leyva is about the issue of student-athletes dealing with mental health issues.  

San Nicolás also contributes an interesting article about campus history, which tells the rise and fall of Lindenwood’s once-popular horse-riding program.

Another story about Lindenwood athletics is Sports Editor Dominic Hoscher’s profile of Josh Pauls, a Lindenwood graduate who has had a successful career not only in sled hockey, but also as an author and inspirational speaker.  

We also have my story exploring questions about student evaluations of professors.  At the end of each semester, we are asked to do course evaluations, but how does Lindenwood use them, and are they a good way to tell how good professors are?

Lindenlink has faced major challenges in the past few years.  To be clear, these included: changes in leadership (the departure of our long-time, closely involved adviser), persistent website problems last semester, shrinking staff numbers, and ultimately a global pandemic.  However, I have been proud of how the staff has persisted and continued to produce good work.  

As I leave Lindenwood, I hope that Lindenlink will continue to overcome challenges, and that Link magazine will return to newsracks with the mission of exploring in-depth stories relevant to the Lindenwood community.  

During this uncertain time, many people are experiencing hardship.  I wish strength and perseverance to all of our readers, and thank you to those who are helping get America and the rest of the world through this pandemic.

Stay healthy and stay safe.

Matt Hampton

Editor-in-chief

Thank you to our staff who have contributed to creating these stories

Lindenlink Adviser – Dr. Neil Ralston

Editor-in-chief – Matt Hampton

Managing Editor – Kayla Drake

News Editor – Merlina San Nicolás Leyva

Culture Editor – Alexis Montgomery 

Sports Editor – Dominic Hoscher 

Social Media Editor – Mia Tebbe

Photo ad Video Editor – James Tananan

Community Relations Manager – Alexa Pressley

Photography by Kat Owens

Thanks to Paul Huffman for help with archives research.