Advertising and strategic communications to move to school of business

Harmon+Hall%2C+where+the+Plaster+School+of+Business+and+Entrepreneurship+is+located.+++File+photo+by+Kat+Owens.++

Harmon Hall, where the Plaster School of Business and Entrepreneurship is located.
File photo by Kat Owens.

Alexis Montgomery, Editor-in-Chief

The advertising and strategic communications program will be moving from the School of Arts, Media and Communications to the Plaster School of Business and Entrepreneurship beginning the 2021-22 school year. 

Currently, the major has communication class requirements before graduation such as media literacy, basic reporting, and video production. 

Krista Tucciarone, program chair for advertising and communications, said that the major consists of advertising and public relations courses as well as courses from art and design, social media and digital content strategies and marketing. 

“The curriculum was developed to reflect industry trends, as referenced by the American Advertising Federation (AAF) and Public Relations Society of America (PRSA),” Tucciarone said in an email. “The curriculum is written to “introduce” then “reinforce” and finally “master.” Students apply the curriculum to real clients with real problems.”

Tucciarone said the number of colleges on campus were consolidated, and that the degree program will be a better fit with the Plaster School of Business and Entrepreneurship. 

“Traditionally, advertising, strategic communications, and marketing operated in their own space. Today, the three fields are melting into each other’s space, as consumers desire a dialogue, engagement, personalization, and brand experiences,” Tucciarone said. 

Tucciarone said that advertisers develop campaigns that communicate about products and services, strategic communications present content that connects to the organization’s mission, and marketing focuses on the five P’s– price, place, product, promotion, and people. 

Since the major is closely related to marketing, it will be moving under the marketing section in the school of business. 

“At this point, the Advertising and Strategic Communications degree will move to Plaster School of Business and Entrepreneurship under Marketing and remain as is until the Marketing faculty and myself review the needs of the students and what curriculum will best prepare them for their careers,” Tucciarone said.