A new look for Lincoln Middle School in Edwardsville

Lincoln Middle School is being remodeled and renovated.

Lincoln was built in 1925 and served as Edwardsville High School until 1997. In the Fall of 1997, it became a Middle School.

Lincoln is a 98-year-old historic building and is one of the two middle schools in District 7.

The construction started in May 2023 and is set to finish in 2027.

“The original plan was to build a brand-new school, but after public opinion, they decided to just remodel the current building and add on to it,” Lincoln Middle School Language Arts Teacher Carla Kinsey said.

Lincoln’s remodel will improve safety, navigation, security, and technology. The district is adding a secure vestibule entrance to the building to ensure safety.

“When you walk in, you can go three different directions,” Lincoln Middle School’s Interim Principal Beth Renth said. “You can go up or down in two different spots. So, the secure vestibule entrance will ensure the visitors have to check in in that area, and they are not given access to the rest of the building until they have gone through that part.”

Other additions include two new gyms, a commons, and a performing arts wing. The cafeteria and auditorium are also being renovated.

With these additions, there have been some challenges trying to keep the building open while under construction.

“There’s a whole lot of noise that goes on when you add a new building like that or an addition,” Renth said. “There’s jackhammering, there’s large equipment, there’s vibration in the classrooms closest to that side. So, all those things are difficult to manage, particularly for the staff of those on that side of the building. It’s frustrating sometimes, no doubt, and it’s tough to keep your eye on the prize at the end of 2027.”

Aside from the noise, the construction is also causing some teachers to move out of their classrooms and teach in different areas. Some of these spaces include the gym and balcony areas.

Renth says she knows this situation is not ideal and praises the staff and students for adapting.

“I have nothing but good things to say about what the staff is doing and that the entire time keeping the focus on instructing the kids and continuing to do what they’ve always done, which is provide a quality education for our students,” Renth said.