St. Charles honors fallen veterans on Memorial Day

Tom Korth | Lindenlink Reporter

To many Americans, Memorial Day is a day for drinking, barbecues and partying. Has America lost the true meaning of what this holiday is all about?

Not residents and veterans in St. Charles. For them, Memorial Day is a day to come together to honor the nation’s service members who have perished in battle. It is a day for us to remember and celebrate their lives with the families they left behind.

VFW Post 2866 color guard gets ready to open the Memorial Day ceremony at the riverfront. The city of St. Charles holds the ceremony at the soldiers memorial/riverfront every year. Photo credit by Tom Korth
The St. Charles City band plays every year on Memorial Day. Photo credit by Tom Korth.
The new soldiers memorial at the riverfront has become a new attraction in St. Charles. The marble is imported from Dubai, Saudi Arabia. Photo credit by Tom Korth.
George Newell is a well respected advocate for veterans in the St Charles community. He goes out of his way to do anything for everyone. Photo credit by Tom Korth.
Members of the St. Charles Veterans Commission welcome guests to the ceremony. Clara Scott is a U.S. Navy veteran and the only woman on the commission. Photo credit by Tom Korth.
Lindenwood senior Tom Korth, a U.S. Army veteran, reads the names of service members from St. Charles who have died in the last year. Photo credit by Kendra Korth.
The St. Charles Police Department Guards escort Korean War veterans down the pier to the Missouri River for the tossing of a memorial wreath into the river, a tradition at the ceremony. Photo credit by Tom Korth.
Korean War veterans carry a memorial wreath to be tossed into the river to honor fallen soldiers from St Charles. Photo credit by Tom Korth.
Korean War veterans toss the wreath into the Missouri River in a unique and touching tribute in St Charles. Photo Credit by Tom Korth.
The wreath honoring America’s fallen heroes floats on the Missouri River in the annual St. Charles Memorial Day ceremony. Photo credit by Tom Korth.

$575
$1000