International Students’ struggle with Student Health Insurance Plan

International Students were not able to waive the Wellfleet Student Health Insurance.

Eva Laurens, News Editor

A Student Health Insurance Plan was put in place by Lindenwood for the beginning of Fall 22.

Lindenwood partnered with Wellfleet Student Health Insurance to provide its students with insurance and to make sure that everyone on campus is covered.

According to Lindenwood, “Lindenwood University has partnered with Wellfleet Insurance Company to offer a robust and student-focused insurance policy to meet the needs of all individuals on campus.”

Students already covered by another insurance were able to waive it by proving that they already had another insurance.

In an email, Lindenwood said that international students could not waive this insurance and had to enroll in the Wellfleet Student Health Insurance Plan.

“When Lindenwood first announced the Student Health Insurance Plan Requirement, there was not a waiver available for international students,” Associate Vice President Kelly Moyich said. “Over the summer, international students who reached out to Lindenwood directly could submit a request for insurance review.”

Senior Oscar Fälth finds Wellfleet Student Insurance’s cost different from other insurances.

“It is super expensive compared to the insurance I have had previous years,” Fälth said.

A portal to waive this Student Health Insurance was opened for international students at the end of Aug.

“On Aug. 31, 2022, the waiver portal was open to all international students and the deadline to submit a waiver was extended. The requirements of the insurance plan remained the same,” Moyich said.

Students who have not waived or paid the insurance are automatically enrolled with this insurance.

“Students are enrolled in the Wellfleet Student Health Insurance Plan and students can access all the benefits under the program,” Moyich said.

Those who are graduating this fall are worried about annual insurance.

“I hope I will get a refund for next semester but I don’t know that yet,” Fälth said.

Lindenwood might keep the Student Health Insurance in place in the future for its students.

“I anticipate the Student Health Insurance Plan requirement will remain in place for future academic years,” Moyich said.