Preview: Business Ethics Panel returns to Lindenwood

The Business Ethics Panel will take place in the Dunseth Auditorium in Harmon Hall on Nov. 3 from 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.

Eva Laurens, News Editor

The Hammond Institute for Free Enterprise and the PCB&E are bringing back the Business Ethics Panel.

This panel was canceled two years in a row because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The event will take place on Nov. 3 from 11 a.m. until 12:45 p.m. in Dunseth Auditorium in Harmon Hall.

“Any student on campus with an interest in applied ethics, especially in the business world, is welcome to attend,” Associate Professor of Philosophy Joseph Steineher said. “There will be a buffet with free food outside of Dunseth Auditorium for guests.”

Lunch will be served at 11 a.m. and the panel will begin at 11:30 a.m.

Steineher will explain the mission and events of the Hammond Institute, John Clark will go over the Rotary Club, and panelists will talk about their business experience.

“The panel will begin with some introductory remarks from me about the Hammond Institute and from John Clark about the Rotary Club,” Steineher said. “Each panelist will have 15-20 minutes to present a unique ethical dilemma that they encountered in their business experience.”

The audience will have the opportunity to ask questions and talk with each panelist.

“Each panelist will present their dilemma and then open up the discussion to questions from the audience and John the host,” Steineher said.

Panelists will discuss with the audience to keep their attention, and to help them understand the real struggle of the moral dilemma, they will then explain how they dealt with it.

“The panelists will not reveal how they themselves dealt with the moral dilemma until after the audience has struggled with it for a while,” Steineher said. “The goal is to build some suspense by letting students struggle through the case without knowing how the panelist dealt with it.”

The moral dilemmas are not known in advance, they are known by the audience when the panel starts.

“We don’t know about the moral dilemmas in advance. The panelists will reveal these at their presentation,” Steineher said. “There’s a sort of critical thinking “on your feet” sort of feel to it.”

Panelists take this event as an opportunity to get closer to the students and discuss problems in the real world with them.

“I am excited to be part of the panel,” Panelist Jeanine Cotter said. “It is a great opportunity for students and others in the audience to hear examples of real-world issues that come up and all the factors that influence the behaviors of those involved.”