Lindenwood announces 2023-24 tuition, introduces new bill

A+table+comparing+tuition+and+fees+for+undergraduate+and+graduate+students+from+2021-22%2C+2022-23%2C+and+2023-24+school+years.+

Photo by Sofiya Melnychuk

A table comparing tuition and fees for undergraduate and graduate students from 2021-22, 2022-23, and 2023-24 school years.

Sofiya Melnychuk, Editor-in-Chief

Lindenwood University announced a tuition increase for the 2023-24 year, including in 4% increase for full-time undergraduate students.

The announcement was made by university President John Porter on Wednesday, Feb. 8. In an email sent to students, Porter said Lindenwood’s team has worked hard to keep the educational costs below those of other local private universities.

According to the announcement, the tuition and fees for full-time undergraduate tuition will increase by $800, from $19,100 to $19,900, compared to last year’s tuition.

Another addition made to the tuition and fees for the 2023-24 school year is a “One Fee” bill which costs $1,200 per year. In an FAQ document sent out to faculty, Lindenwood’s Assistant Vice President and University Spokesperson Julee Mitsler said that One Fee combines individual fees, including 24/7 technology support, academic fees, student activities and home sporting events, on-campus healthcare, and more. However, the One Fee does not include items such as books and course materials.

“Additionally, Lindenwood will be upgrading student technology offerings, expanding mental health services, enhancing advising and tutoring services, adding on-campus activities for students, and upgrading systems to provide a more seamless student experience,” Mitsler said.

According to the FAQ document, all traditional undergraduate students both part-time and full-time will be billed the One Fee. Graduate students will not pay the bill.

In the past year, many changes have been made at the university such as Lindenwood Athletics moving to NCAA Division 1. Mitsler said the decision to increase tuition was not based on the Division 1 move.

The factors for the tuition increase include higher operating costs, expanded student services and programming, and onboarding of new academic programs.

“On top of these expansions, inflation has raised the price of countless goods and services provided as part of a Lindenwood education. Our decision to increase tuition was not driven by the University’s elevation to NCAA Division 1,” Mitsler said. “However, NCAA Division 1 offers more scholarship opportunities, and in turn is offset by increased revenue from ticket sales, enhanced corporate partnerships, and future NCAA revenue share.”

Despite the tuition increase, Mitsler said this is an exciting time to be a part of the Lindenwood community.

“The university continues to deliver a student-centered education, and focus on accomplishing the goals of the strategic plan,” Mitsler said. “The university is looking forward to continuing to deliver on our commitment to providing students with real experience which promotes real success as students enter their field or grow as leaders.”