Lindenwood football loses 52-10 to Austin Peay

Photo by Joshua Calloni
Carter Davis, the Lions’ quarterback, dodges Austin Peay State University defenders as he goes to the right.

In its second home game of the 2023 season, the Lindenwood football team lost to Austin Peay State University by a score of 52-10.

It’s the second straight loss by the Lions, and their third overall, moving their season record to 2-3 after five games. Each of the three Lindenwood losses has been by 31 points or more.

The game got out of Lindenwood’s reach quickly, as the Governors scored 28 points in the first quarter against the Lions, with 21 of those points being scored within the first six minutes of the game. Austin Peay quarterback Kam Thomas found wide receiver Mike DiLiello for a pair of 46-yard touchdown passes in the quarter to lead the scoring.

In the second quarter, the Lions were able to hold the Governors to one score, a touchdown in the opening seconds by running back Jevon Jackson to make the score 35-0. Lindenwood got a field goal by kicker Logan Seibert in the quarter to make the score 35-3 at halftime.

When the game resumed, Lindenwood again held Austin Peay to only seven points in the quarter, again on a touchdown run by Jackson, which put the score to 42-3. In the final quarter of the game, Austin Peay was able to add 10 more points to their score, which gave them a 52-3 lead heading into the final seven minutes of the game.

The Lions were able to find pay dirt and score one touchdown in the game, coming on a 22-yard run by running back Justin Williams. The six points, plus the successful point extra attempt, gave Lindenwood seven points and finalized the scoring of the game at 52-10.

On the defensive side of the ball, linebacker Ethan Stuhlsatz made a team-leading 11 tackles throughout the game. Fellow linebacker Sanjay Strickland made one tackle for a three-yard loss, which was the best for Lindenwood throughout the game.

Lindenwood is now halfway through its 2023 home football schedule, with five games down, and five more left to play. The next game is Saturday, Oct. 7 against the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles, which acts as a home game. Kickoff is scheduled to occur at 1 p.m. that afternoon, with the theme of the game set to be Family Day.