Rugby teams wrap up strong fall season [Photo Gallery]

Photo by Elizabeth Boaz
Women’s Rugby team celebrating 27-0 victory against Life University

Lindenwood men’s and women’s rugby teams have wrapped up their fall season, combining for a record of 20-1 between them. 

Both teams are nationally ranked for their skill on the field. According to College Rugby Rankings, Lindenwood’s men’s team ranks number two in the country, trailing only Navy. As for the women’s team, they are ranked number one in the country.  

The men’s team went a perfect 12-0 on their season, only having two games in which the final score was a ten-point difference or less. The first of those games was against Davenport University, as the Lions won by a score of 24-20, their closest game of the season to date. The second of which was against Brigham Young University, a game in which Lindenwood rallied from behind to win by a score of 21-14. On the flip side, the team’s biggest win of the season was a 121-0 onslaught of Washington University in St. Louis on Oct. 14.  

We lost some vital players last year, however, some new faces stepped up in leadership positions and we have incredible young talent that Macy recruited,” junior John Kenaga said. “Our captain Duncan has done a phenomenal job at making sure the team builds chemistry and enforces a competitive training environment,”  

As for the women’s team, they went 8-1 on the season, with all of the team’s wins on the season coming with a 10-point advantage or more. The one loss of the season was a 27-14 loss to Davenport University back in September, a game in which the opposing team entered undefeated. The team went undefeated from there, winning six straight games, including one against Life University, a notably tough rugby school. The team’s biggest win of the season came in its first game, beating the Kansas City Jazz by a score of 103-7.  

“This season was very successful,” junior Jenalei Monotui said. “Our girls work ethic, passion, and dedication to the team makes it possible for our accomplishments,”  

The men’s rugby team returns in the spring for a 14-game slate, beginning with a matchup with the University of Tennessee on Feb. 10. They return home for the first time all spring on Feb. 21, when McKendree University comes to campus.