Lindenwood Women’s Gymnastics takes home opener against Greenville University [PHOTO GALLERY]

Photo by Catalina Corredor
Hannah Appleget performing her beam routine.

The Lindenwood vs. Greenville Women’s Gymnastics meet occurred on Jan. 14 at the Hyland Arena.

The Lions started their season strong by securing a final score of 195.225 and a personal record by sophomore Nya Kraus.

All four awards were presented to our Lindenwood athletes, which brought immense satisfaction considering that they have worked hard to make the best out of their last season as a team.

“Our team never focuses on scores or hitting a score. Yes, we may have a score goal in mind, but that’s not all we focus on. We focus on the progression and baby steps to hit that goal. As you could see from this past weekend, we had a pretty good score,” sophomore gymnast Nya Kraus said. “However, we never thought about the score, we just went out there and did our thing. One percent better and the results will follow. After seeing our scores, our team was kind of surprised and was like “Oh wow, ok!””

Kraus hit a personal record with a score of 38.975, making her the all-around leading scorer. She also had the highest score for the Lindenwood Lions on the beam (9.875).

Sophomore Gayla Griswold also contributed to the team’s strong start to the season, getting the highest scores of the meet for the vault with a 9.775 and on the floor with a 9.875.

The event high for the Lions was the Uneven Parallel Bars, where they scored 49.0, and the top six scores all belonged to each of the Lindenwood athletes who competed.

“My favorite part about my team is how we are all close and tight. We all want the best for each other, and we support one another every day, through practice, school, and daily life,” Kraus said. “Our team also likes to have a ton of fun, especially on the gymnastics floor, cause why not have fun when you’re doing the sport you love and have a bunch of people around you to support you?”