Lindenwood’s Basketball teams lose to Western Illinois

Photo by Josh Calloni
Keenon Cole takes a shot at a contested basket against Western Illinois University.

Both of Lindenwood’s basketball teams faced off against Western Illinois University on Feb. 1.

The women’s team lost in the first game of the evening by a score of 75-68. The men’s team didn’t fare much better in the latter game of the evening, dropping the game 79-71. The losses move the women’s team to an overall record of 5-15 on the season, and the men’s team to 8-15.

Despite the women’s loss in their game, it was a very close matchup between the two teams throughout. The game was tied at 68-68 with just over two minutes left to play, but the defense allowed seven points in the closing time, resulting in the loss.

Ellie Brueggemann led the Lions in scoring, putting up 14 points in the game. The freshman guard shot 5-17 on field goal attempts and grabbed 4 rebounds. Center Justis Odom was close behind in the scoring category, scoring 13 points. Odom was 6-8 on field goal attempts and tied for a team-leading six rebounds.

Each of Alyssa Nielsen, Kaylen Evans, and Makayla Wallace drained 8 points in the game. Mya Skoff, Mykalya Cunningham, Celina Arnlund, and Stevi Lockhart each also scored at least one point in the loss.

As for rebounds, Odom finished the game tied with Skoff and Cunningham with six a piece, with Nielsen closely behind with five of her own. Overall, the Lions made 40 of their 112 shots, good for 35 percent.

In the men’s game, the eight-point loss represents the sixth game the team has dropped in its last seven games. The team played catch-up the entire game against the Leathernecks, never holding a lead after Keenon Cole started scoring in the first minute of play.

Cole, who was recently named the US Basketball Writers Association player of the week, led the team in scoring with 24 points. It gives him a total of 440 on the season, 42 of which came in one game against SEMO in January.

Behind Cole, Darius Beane put up 19 points in the game, and Jaylon McDaniel came in as the only other Lions with double-digit scores, putting up 12 of his own. Beane’s total gives him 298 on the season, and the single-game total marks his most since Jan. 11 against SEMO. Also scoring in the game were Isaac Ondekane, Keith Haymon II, Tommie Williams, and Colin Ruffin.

Cole also led the team in rebounds with seven, with Ondekane closely behind with six of his own. Overall, the Lions put up 30 rebounds in the game. In the game, the Lions made 43 of their 92 shots, good for a 46 percent completion rate.

Both teams welcome Tennessee State University to the Hyland Arena on Thursday, Feb. 8. Tip-off for the women’s game is scheduled for 5 p.m., with the men’s game to follow at 7:30