Gymnastics has prodigious goals for the rest of the season after completing senior day sweep

Photo by Catalina Corredor
Lindenwood women’s gymnastics performing their iconic cheer.

On Sunday, Feb. 11, Lindenwood gymnastics hosted their Senior Day, and took on the Illinois State Redbirds, defeating them by a score of 196.075-195.250.

“I thought we did amazing today,” senior student assistant coach Gracie Kramer said. “The team was together, [had] high energy, everyone [performed their strongest] and had each other’s backs, and I’m really proud of how we did today.”

Kramer started with Lindenwood gymnastics as an athlete on the team. She competed with them her freshman and sophomore year, but unfortunately found herself getting a pars defect fracture in her back her sophomore year. Come Kramer’s junior year, the team however was able to offer her the team manager position. For Kramer’s senior year, the team was able to give her the position of student coach.

“I was able to contribute to the team in a different way that didn’t hurt my body as bad, and just a way I could still be a part of the team and be here with everyone,” Kramer said. “I have absolutely loved every bit of it.”

The Lions’ top performers in the meet were Trinity Kaffey on the vault with a score of 9.900, Hannah Appleget and Nya Kraust on the Bars both with 9.900, Nya Kraust on the beam getting 9.775, and Gayla Griswold at 9.900.

“I think we’re just continuing to build,” senior Nicole Wojkic said. “We started off on a high, and we’re just continuing to grow and grow together.”

Lindenwood has 4 regular seasons left: February 16th at the St. Charles Family Arena vs. the Florida Gators, Missouri Tigers, and Illinois Fighting Illini; March 3rd at Denver, Colo. vs. the Air Force Falcons and the San Jose State Spartans; March 11th at Lincoln, Neb. in the Nebraska Masters Classic vs. the Nebraska Cornhuskers; and March 16th at Normal, Ill. back against Illinois State.

“With this being the last year, I think we’re all just very much in the moment and want to just fully enjoy every single meet, every single moment with each other,” Wojkic said. “Our goal is just to continue doing what we’ve been doing at every meet and every practice, [and] just show our best routines.”

Overall, the Lions have been tremendously proud of one another for all the team has been able to accomplish this season. This year, Hyland Arena is going to be hosting the Midwest Independence Conference tournament, and Lindenwood looks to build off last Sunday’s meet, the prior meets, and the final 4 regular season meets, then go into MICs with a bang, including using the home crowd to their advantage.

“We’re really excited to be at home in our home arena, with our home fans, and our goals are just to put it all out there like we have been the whole season,” Kramer said. “Just really [leaning] on [one] another, [being] together, and [doing] what we’ve been doing the whole season.”