Hockey swept in final weekend of the season [PHOTO GALLERY]

Photo by Elizabeth Boaz
Drew Kuzma faces off against a Seawolves player.

Lindenwood’s hockey team wrapped up their 2023-24 season with a pair of losses against the University of Alaska Anchorage.

In the first game of the weekend, the Lions lost by a score of 5-3. The Lions found themselves behind from the start, as Alaska Anchorage scored two goals out of the gate before Lindenwood could score one of their own. The first Alaska goal was scored by Connor Marritt, assisted by William Gilson, and the second was an unassisted goal scored by Matt Johnson.

That first Lions goal of the game was credited to Drew Kuzma, who took an assisted shot by Adam Conquest to sound the buzzer in the 14th minute of the second period.

However, Alaska Anchorage bounced back quickly, scoring a goal late in the second period, and again early in the third. Gilson found the net in the second period with an assist from both Matt Allen and Adam Tisdale, and Maximillion Helgeson scored for Alaska in the third. That goal was assisted by Gilson and Ben Almquist.

Lindenwood would respond in the final period, however, scoring back-to-back goals to make it a one-score game. Caige Sterzer found the net in the 14th minute for an unassisted shot, and 30 seconds later, Ethan Zielke duplicated that for a goal of his own. Sterzer assisted on the second goal, with help coming from Zachary Aughe as well.

However, Alaska Anchorage put the nail in the coffin in the final minute, with Allen scoring one more goal, assisted by Porter Schachle.

In the second of the two games, it was a lesser contest for the Lions, getting shut out 3-0.

Both teams were held scoreless in the first period, but Alaska Anchorage added two goals in the second period. The first of which was scored by Riley Thompson, who had an assist from both Gilson and Dylan Finlay, and the second was scored by Matt Johnson, with an assist from Allen.

Alaska would add one last goal in the final period, scored by Finlay, with assists from Helgeson and Almquist.

For the season, the Lions went 6-18-4, with a home record of 4-6, and an away record of 2-12-4. The team didn’t play any conference games throughout the season.