Women’s hockey celebrates senior day and reflects on season and future goals

Photo by Parker Kilen
Lindenwood women’s hockey honors seniors in season finale.

The Lindenwood women’s hockey team concluded their season against the Robert Morris University Colonials, on Friday, Feb. 16, and Saturday, Feb. 17.

While the Colonials won the first game 7-5, and the second game 6-3, the Lions still had some notable moments, including celebrating their seniors in their final games as Lions.

The seniors recognized on Lindenwood’s women’s hockey senior day were forwards Rachel Goff, Sarah Dravis, Kaitlin Finnegan, and Chloe Corbin; defenders Thea Jørgensen and Sena Takenaka; and goalie Natalie Ferenc.

In game one, the first Lions goal was put in the 7th minute into the game by Sidney Jackel, with team leading scorer junior forward Morgan Neitzke, on the assist. Down 4-1 early in the second, with Finnegan and sophomore defender Emma Hoen on the assist, Corbin was able to find the back of the net, slicing Lindenwood’s deficit to two.

At the 8th minute in the third, with the help of Jackel and Neitzke, Corbin would strike again. By then, the score was 6-2. With close to five minutes left in the game, the Lions pulled their goalie in a last-gasp effort to tie the game and potentially win, down 7-3. In hockey, the empty net extra player trick typically backfires, as the opposing team usually scores in that empty net. However for the Lions, they were able to capitalize on two goals having that extra player, and no goal was given up in the empty net.

Unfortunately, being down four goals before the empty net, Lindenwood wasn’t near able to notch a tie or victory. All the same, while not quite getting a win, the Lions still had a lot to be proud of from their offense, and team as a whole, in an altitudinous-scoring battle against the Colonials. Lindenwood’s stars of the game were Corbin and Jackal at 2 points, Hoen at 3 points, and Neitzke at 4 points.

The day after, game two, was senior day for the Lions, the Colonials came away with a 6-3 win. Although the Lions still had vital moments in that game also, especially for the seniors. Including Jorgensen assisting fellow senior Finnegan for the Lions’ first goal of the game, close to 15 minutes into the second period, after a bestial 5-0 trailing. Sophomore defender Quinn McLaren contributed to the assist.

Fast forward to the third period, and next goal of the game, fellow senior Corbin was able to assist Neitzke in notching a short-handed goal, less than two minutes into the period to decrease RMU’s lead to 5-2. In that game, graduate forward Rachel Goff, with the help of sophomore forwards Molly Henderson and Olivia Grabianowski, was able to snipe goal three for the team in black and gold, but the Lions could not quite complete the comeback.

The Lions finished with an 11-19-2 record, an improvement from their 5-27-0 record during their first season in Division 1.

From the leadership of their seniors and graduate students to the returning Lions for next year, including Neitzke who led the team in goals, assists, and points as a whole. Goalies Ferenc finished the season with a 0.874 save percentage, freshman Ava McIllmurray following along at 0.873, and junior Emily Finach with 0.780.

Many Lions altogether, including underclassmen, are looking to build off last season, both prior Division 1 seasons combined, and use that knowledge and skills in proceeding seasons.