Men’s wrestling honors seniors at home meet against Little Rock Trojans and looks to enter NCWA meets with a bang

Photo by Don Adams Jr.
Luke Shaver looks to set up a takedown.

On Sunday, Feb. 25, the Lindenwood men’s wrestling team wrestled their final regular season dual against the #17 ranked Little Rock Trojans.

The meet was brutal for the Lions, as Little Rock ended up beating Lindenwood 57-0. The Lions, however, learned a lot from the meet, going into the NCWA Southwest Conference tournaments, and the NCWA Championships.

“We have faced a lot of teams, [and the Trojans have been] PAC 12 champs. We take a lot of pride in saying that we made our schedule. Our coaches, they beefed up our schedule this year big time, so really every dual we’ve had this year at Hyland has been against a formidable team that always comes to wrestle,” redshirt junior Luke Shaver said. “The level of competition that we’re facing, everytime a team comes in here, it’s absolutely crazy, and it’s ultimately been a dream of mine to wrestle these kinds of teams.”

Lindenwood also recognized their seniors Alec Bailey, McKinley Kemper, and Austin Kegley during the meet. From the bond the seniors have had all four years, with each other, and their teammates as a whole; to sticking together; and adapting to changes, throughout, including new coaches and switching from Division II to Division I; it has been a ride for the seniors, and the boys in black and gold, altogether.

“It’s definitely emotional, being the last meet here for the men’s wrestling team. We’ve had a lot of things this season, but it was nice to have everybody here with alumni and stuff to support us,” Kegley said. “It was a tough dual. We gave up two weights, and that’s always tough to do, but I think just our grittiness, and we know we’re facing a top team in the country, and we still show up and wrestle hard, so I think that stands out to our commitment.”

This Saturday, the Lions will be wrestling in the NCWA Southwest Conference tournaments, then have many wrestlers advance into the NCWA Championships. According to Shaver, it takes a village for every one of the Lions to score big for the team. Every one of the guys has had their contributions. They look to continue their persistence in the upcoming remaining moments of Lindenwood men’s wrestling.

“As time [has gone] over, we’ve really motivated ourselves to be the best we can, to go every match, every duel, and just give 100% effort. That’s really all we can do, especially whenever we’re this close to the end of the season, I really think that a lot of people have taken their own, but ultimately and collectively we’ve all worked together to make sure that each one of us is held accountable, to strive and just push each other,” Shaver said. “That’s what we were doing now, and that’s one of the biggest things right now in the postseason is just pushing each other. So, that we don’t lose that motivation, that we don’t lose that fire, that we can finish out the season.”

With this being the final men’s wrestling season at Lindenwood, emotions have been high for the team, but at the same time, impelling.

“This season as a whole has been different just because [with] the sports programs here at Lindenwood [being] discontinued,” Shaver said. “But ultimately, I love how everything so turning out and ending different, as far as my career. Because I don’t think that I would rather be in any other gym, any other school, or any other team, then the one here at Lindenwood.”