Softball shuts out St. Louis University [PHOTO GALLERY]

Ashley+Gerber+checks+her+swing+in+a+game+against+St.+Louis+University.+
Photo by Josh Calloni
Ashley Gerber checks her swing in a game against St. Louis University.

Lindenwood’s softball team snapped a three-game losing streak after defeating St. Louis University 1-0.

The Lions had been on a losing spell after a sweep against Tennessee State University, but the 1-0 shutout against the Billikens put them back in the win column. The team now moves to a 13-14 record on the season.

Before the game, pitcher Amanda Weyh was honored for recording her 467th strikeout against Tennessee State, which set a new Lindenwood record in the NCAA era.

Weyh would pitch the game against St. Louis University as well, going five scoreless innings, allowing just two hits, and striking out for batters. Avery Wapp came on in relief for Weyh, allowing no base runners in two scoreless innings.

On the offensive side of the ball, despite only scoring one run, the Lions scattered seven hits in the game. The lone run game was off the bat of Izzy Wilcox, who reached on an error on a sacrifice bunt attempt that scored Mya Bethany. Bethany and Ashley Gerber led the Lions in hits, each recording two. Wilcox, Dallis Darnell, and Chloe Honchar also recorded base hits in the win.

The Lions return to the field this weekend to host the University of Southern Indiana for a three-game series. The teams play at 3 p.m. Saturday, and matchup in a doubleheader on Sunday, with first pitches scheduled for 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. respectively.