Softball team young, eager to begin play in February

John Tessmer | Staff Reporter

With a small amount of seniors on the 2014 roster for the Lindenwood softball program, the Lions will turn to the junior class to make up the bulk of the team. Returning players for the Lions include juniors Kendall Ryndak and Alexandra Newcomb, and sophomores Courtney Kitson, and Hannah Braun.

“Kendall Ryndak is a pitcher who can play any position besides catcher, and will be a key player for our squad and Alexandra Newcomb is a very good catcher that brings great talent,” said head coach Don Loberg.

“Courtney Kitson played shortstop as a freshman for us and did a great job. Hannah Braun, our centerfielder, is an all around great athlete, and is really good,” Loberg said.

Along with the main stays on the team, Lindenwood has brought in four freshman and two transfers. Three of the freshman are from the St. Louis area, with one coming from Iowa. One of the transfer students is from Fontbonne University and is a pitcher with the other, an outfielder coming from Jefferson County Community College.

Lindenwood is one of three schools with a turf field, with West Texas A&M and Cornell being the only others. “The game is probably going to be a little quicker on the new turf field. We are going to get true bounces, we won’t have to worry about rocks, or weird clumps of dirt. I think the girls are really adjusting to it,” Loberg said.

Playing in one of the best conferences in the U.S. with Central Oklahoma, Emporia State, Fort Hayes, and the University of Central Missouri, the Lions will have some very tough competition. “Last season, five teams in our division were in the top 20 in the country, so it’s a pretty tough conference,” Loberg said.

Even with some tough competition, Coach Loberg expects big things out of the team. “We actually would of made the post season tournament last season. We’re looking forward to going on and trying to win it and going to Super regionals and Nationals,” Loberg said.

Come watch as the Lions begin their season on Feb. 22 against Fontbonne University at noon at Lindenwood. They will begin conference play on March 8 against Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Okla. at noon.

From Print | Legacy

For more on the latest from the Women’s Softball team, check out their page on LindenwoodLions.com

$575
$1000