Veteran’s Affairs honored

Amgalan Jargalsaikhan | Staff Reporter
Posted March 29, 2014; 5:00 p.m.
Published Legacy April 29, 2014

For the fifth year in a row, Lindenwood University has been honored as a “military friendly school” for 2014 by G.I. Jobs magazine. To be named as “military friendly,” colleges, universities and trade schools must rank in the top 15 percent of all in nationwide.

va
The Veteran’s Affairs Office is located in the Spellmann Connection.

Lindenwood’s Veterans Affairs Center is dedicated to military members, for efforts and results in retaining military and veteran students to increase diversity among the student body, faculty and staff.
“We’re proud to be known for our commitment and support of our veteran students during their academic years,” said Donna Marie Simms, director of Veterans Affairs. “We are thankful for veterans and our students for sacrificing themselves for the nation.”
G.I. Jobs is the leading magazine for military people and their lives. For this year’s survey, the publication used information of more than 12,000 schools nationwide. The feedback was gathered and studied to help provide prospective military students with insight into the student veteran experience at a particular institution based on reviews.
The Veterans Affairs center used to be located in Roemer Hall. The office was moved to the Connection in the Spellmann Center, and many students say it has been helpful.

Army Cadets Gus Kihn and Nolan Tighe practice proper rifle usage that they used later that day at the shooting range during their FTX weekend.  Legacy Photo by Cayla Brown
Army Cadets Gus Kihn and Nolan Tighe practice proper rifle usage that they used later that day at the shooting range during their FTX weekend.
Legacy Photo by Cayla Brown

“Lindenwood provides me with plenty of options to pay my tuition and helps me throughout the whole academic years,” said senior Kristine Sieve, SPC, Military Tuition Assistance Specialist. “The VA center we have here is one of the advantages Lindenwood offers, because the experiences of the students in military are different than average students.”

The ROTC is a leadership training program for college students who plan to serve in the U.S. military after college.
Lindenwood has an agreement with Washington University that makes the Army ROTC Basic courses available to qualified Lindenwood students.
Being a member of Missouri National Guard, it makes another convenience to military students at Lindenwood, according to senior student, Chase Huggins, CDT, senior majoring in History.“People at VA center are very knowledgeable and helpful individual and they are here for the students,” Huggins said.

For more information about Military Services at Lindenwood, call the Veterans Affairs Office at 636-627-2263 or visit the website at military.lindenwood.edu.

$575
$1000