Areopagus film series Enlightens Audiences

Morgan Albertson | Contributing Writer
Published February 13, 2015; 1:40 p.m.

“It would be nice sometime to not have to explain it to someone like Tommy,” says Mrs. Green, a character in “Gentleman’s Agreement,” the first film in this semester’s Areopagus film series, which showed in Young Hall Auditorium Tuesday, February 10. 

The Areopagus Film Series is sponsored by the University Chaplain’s Office and the LU Film Series. “We started the series to explore deep questions about faith through the discussion of notable film,” said Lindenwood’s chaplain, Reverend Timothy Butler.

graphic by Geddy Avery
graphic by Geddy Avery

In the quote from the film above, Mrs. Green is referring to anti-Semitism, or bigotry toward Jews, and her frustration at having to teach children about it. The film focuses on the evils of stereotyping and subtle prejudice toward Jews, which presents a timely message reflecting negative assumptions about others based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and identity, or religion.

“Gentleman’s Agreement” was preceded by a livestream of LUTV’s interview with Rabbi Seth D. Gordon on the World of Faith program led by David Brown, PhD, of the Lindenwood Philosophy Department. Rabbi Gordon, of the Traditional Congregation synagogue in St. Louis, led a discussion after the film covering the decline of anti-Semitism in America and its persistence worldwide. He urged the audience, “Care a little more,” and to remember Leviticus 19:18 which states, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

The next film in the series is “Jesus Christ Superstar,” which will be showing on Tuesday, March 10 at 6:30 p.m. in Young Hall Auditorium, followed by a discussion led by Dr. James Voelz, Chair and Professor of Exegetical Theology, and David Schmitt, Professor of Practical Theology from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis.

$575
$1000