Lindenlink staff wins 16 awards from Missouri College Media Association

Photo by Photo by Neil Ralston

The Fall 2019 staff and volunteers for Lindenlink.

Matt Hampton, Editor-in-chief

Lindenlink, the student-run Lindenwood University news publication, won second place for best website from the Missouri College Media Association.

On Thursday, students won four first-place awards. In total, Lindenlink staff members won 16 awards for articles, photos, videos, and graphics published on Lindenlink in 2019 or in Link magazine last April.  

Lindenwood competed in Division I of the MCMA, which includes the largest schools in the state, such as the University of Missouri, Missouri State University, and Washington University.  

“I’m truly proud of these students and all of those who contributed to the website during the year,” Lindenlink adviser Neil Ralston said. “Producing a variety of content week after week is an enormous job, and this competition against some of the biggest schools in the state shows that we can hold our own.”

Lindenlink placed second in the Division I sweepstakes category, in which points were given out for each award a student gets in an individual category.

The conference was originally scheduled to be held in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, but moved online because of COVID-19.  

Kayla Drake, Lindenlink’s former editor-in-chief, was named on the four first-place awards. 

“It’s awesome to be recognized,” she said.  “These awards prove all our hard work is commendable.”

Here is a full list of award winners from Lindenwood:

First Place Awards 

Kayla Drake, news writing, for “Local school district sues JUUL, cites student vaping epidemic” 

Kayla Drake, Merlina San Nicolas Leyva and Miguel Rincand, information graphic, for “What’s with all the plaques on campus?” 

Kayla Drake, Tyler Keohane and James Tananan Kamnuedkhun, video, for “Making It Happen: A Gameday Documentary” 

Kayla Drake, multimedia package, for “’My escape from the real life;’ How one athlete traveled from Venezuela to the US” 

Second Place Awards 

Staff, sweepstakes, for Lindenlink 

Staff, website, for Lindenlink 

Madeline Raineri, feature writing, for “St. Chux Derby Chix: Inside the world of women’s roller derby” 

Kayla Drake, news photography, for “Biology professor remembered for his humor and sense of justice” 

Kayla Drake, information graphic, for “What to expect this spring for the Lynx” 

Kayla Drake, video, for “How Whatsapp is used around the globe: connection and disinformation”  

Kayla Drake, multimedia package, for “Former Olympian Balances Parenthood and College” 

Third Place Awards 

Staff, editorial writing, for “The cost of truth: LU administrators, board fail transparency test” 

Kat Owens, information graphic, for “Reaching for the Pros” 

Kayla Drake and James Tananan Kamnuedkhun, video for “Lindenwood hockey moves to the Blues practice rink” 

Kayla Drake, multimedia package, for “Driving the extra mile, commuting as a parent and a student” 

Honorable Mention 

Kayla Drake, sports photography, for “Lindenwood football suffers heartbreaking loss in home opener”