Lindenwood football falls short on the road against Tennessee Tech


Photo by Jessica Spivey

Cade Brister runs the ball down the field as the opposing defense chases after him during a football game at Harlen C. Hunter Stadium on Oct. 1.

Ethan Hannaford, Reporter

The Lindenwood football team fell to Tennessee Tech by a final of 35-34 after failing to complete a two-point conversion with less than 15 seconds remaining.

The Lions entered the game looking for their seventh win of the season, but Tennessee Tech had other plans. The Golden Eagles got the scoring started at the end of the first quarter, but Lindenwood responded quickly with a 37-yard strike from Cade Brister to Payton Rose to knot the score at 7-7.

The final five minutes of the second quarter saw a total of 21 points scored. It started when David Gist went 71 yards to the endzone to give Tennessee Tech the lead back. The Lions once again responded when Brister found receiver Kobe Smith for a 29-yard touchdown pass.

Lindenwood was able to get a quick stop on the defensive side and get the offense back out on the field when Brister once again found Rose from 40 yards out to give the Lions their first lead of the game. The Lions went into the half with a 21-14 lead.

The Golden Eagles’ rushing attack was solid all day and started the second half off with yet another explosive run when Jeremiah Oatsvall took the ball 47 yards to the endzone to tie the game back up.

Only a couple minutes later, Tennessee Tech scored again on a rushing touchdown to retake the lead. Lindenwood responded when Brister threw his fourth passing touchdown of the day, this time to Chase Lanckriet.

In the fourth quarter, Tennessee Tech retook the lead when Oatsvall scored his third rushing touchdown of the game to make the score, 35-28.

In the game’s final moments, Lindenwood marched down the field and Brister found Lanckriet in the endzone for a 10-yard touchdown pass to make it a one-point game.  The Lions elected to go for the two-point conversion rather than kicking the point after attempt (PAT) to send it to overtime.

As soon as Brister snapped the ball, he was under pressure and quickly rolled out to the left side trying to find a man open in the endzone. He threw the ball at the last moment before running out of bounds where the ball was batted down in the endzone all but ending the game.

The Lions lost by a final of 35-34 and fell to 6-3 on the season and 1-3 in the Ohio Valley Conference. They return home next weekend for their final game of the season against McKendree.