No Date? No Problem – a Single’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

Photo by Pexels
A single’s guide to Valentine’s Day.

Feb. 14 is a date that half of the world is excited for, and the other half dreads.

Starting in January, the store shelves started getting more and more red and pink, filled with heart-shaped boxes and containers. It’s cute and sweet until you accept the fact that no one is going to give you one of those.

However, just because no one else will get you that box of chocolates doesn’t mean you can’t get them for yourself. Just because someone else isn’t going to be your Valentine doesn’t mean that you can’t be your own Valentine. Self-love (and self-awareness) is important when entering a relationship, and having time to get to know and love yourself before you enter that step will make the experience much sweeter.

So, instead of chucking rocks at the nearest couple this Valentine’s Day, you can fill the holiday with a variety of activities and distractions. 

On-Campus

Campus organizations are hosting on-campus events leading up to and on Valentine’s Day. 

Campus Activities Board and Lindenwood Dining Services are hosting Valentine’s Day with CAB on Feb. 14 from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. in Evans Commons Dining Hall. The event runs during normal lunch hours and will have flowers, sweet treats, and more. 

The day before Valentine’s Day, Matthews Hall is hosting Title IX and Valentines for its residents to stop by and learn about the Title IX office while helping themselves with treats. The event takes place on Matthew’s third floor at 4 p.m.

On Valentine’s Day, Rauch residents can stop by their first-floor atrium at 3 p.m. to help themselves with cookies and helpful information about consent at Rauch Cookies and Consent. 

Not interested in Valentine’s Day? The Latin Dance Club is hosting a Latin Dance Club Practice at 5 p.m. in the Evans Commons Group Exercise Room for students wanting to learn Latin dance.

Off-Campus

Many community-wide events are scheduled for Valentine’s Day across St. Charles and the St. Louis region. Whether you want to celebrate the holiday or completely avoid it to distract yourself, here are some options for you:

If you’re not looking to celebrate Valentine’s Day, you can celebrate Black History Month virtually with Bellefontaine Cemetary during their African American Heritage – Zoom Presentation. The cemetery holds the history of many famous and forgotten Black St. Louis residents, and this 50-minute presentation will explore the rich heritage of African Americans connected to Bellefontaine Cemetary. 

If you’d like to start your day with a healthy practice and aren’t afraid to make the drive, Longview Farm Park Barn in Town & Country hosts its Be Well In The Barn – Yoga every Wednesday at 9 a.m., including on Valentine’s Day. Participants experience an all-level fusion yoga experience mixed in with nature.

If live music is more your speed, Russo Solo in French Town features local band Russo & Co’s lead singer, Anthony J. Russo, playing from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. Food and beverages are available.

Happy Joe’s in St. Peters is offering heart-shaped pizzas with their Valentine’s Day Bash. With each purchase of a large heart-shaped pizza, you get two free sodas, perfect to share with a friend (or keep to yourself, we won’t judge).

For 21+

For students 21 and older, several off-campus events with alcohol are taking place that might be worth checking out. If consuming alcohol, please remember to drink responsibly and secure a safe way back from the event(s). Lyft offers discounts for rides on Groupon.

For the artists, tickets for Valentine’s Day Art and Wine in St. Louis are available with tickets costing $35 each. This painting class provides all needed paint supplies, plus wine!

Are you looking for a classic approach to a Galentine’s dinner and don’t want to travel? Magpie’s on Main Street is hosting a Valentine’s Day Pop-Up theme dinner and serving specialty cocktails. Reservations start at $10. 

Whenever it comes to Lindenwood and drinking, Quintessential Dining and Nightlife on Main Street is where many students flock. Q’s is hosting Bloody Valentine Emo Night to take your mind off the holiday with live emo music and nostalgia. The cover is $5 at the door.

Solo Activities

You can never go wrong with a little personal time, which is why having a self-care night is always the best route when avoiding the holidays. Stay in, avoid social media, and pamper yourself however you see fit, you deserve it!

If you’re ready to get out and make a difference this Valentine’s Day, shelters around might need a little help spreading the love to the pets still waiting to go to their forever home. If you have love to spare, reach out to a local animal shelter to see how you can help out during the holiday.

Spend it With Family

If you’re local to the St. Charles area, you can also spend the holiday of love with the people who love you unconditionally: your family. You can cook your parents a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner, take your siblings to the movies, and much more. 

Be Your Own Valentine

In the end, there is no best way to spend a Valentine’s Day single. No matter what kind of advice you get, there will always be a little sting when the holiday rolls around and you’re still alone. Seeing couples celebrate their co-dependency can suck! 

Relationships and friends will come and go throughout your life. You might think you are in love with one person and cannot imagine a life without them just for them to walk out the door and you find yourself still intact. At the end of the day, the only person who has truly stuck around for you 100% of the time has been yourself, and you should treat yourself for that.