Baseball wins four in most successful weekend of season

Phillip Scherer | Sports Editor
Posted March 18, 2014; 1:50 p.m.
Published Legacy March 18, 2014

Dylan Terrell (24) pitched a perfect 8th inning in the Lions 5-4 victory on Friday afternoon at the Lou Brock Sports Complex.

The LU Lions baseball team enjoyed its best weekend of the year so far, sweeping a four game series over conference opponent Missouri Southern. The MSU Lions entered the weekend as a top 20 nationally ranked team, and had suffered only four defeats heading into their series at the Lou Brock Sports Complex.

LU began well in the first game of the series, as third baseman Ryan Light doubled home shortstop Nathan Prindle to give the Lions a 1-0 lead.

That lead held until the fourth inning, when MSU began to figure things out on offense, jumping out to a 4-1 lead heading into the bottom of the sixth inning. One of the reasons MSU was able to be successful on offense during this time was LU’s poor defense. The team committed five errors during the game.

LU battled back in the sixth and seventh innings, managing to tie the score 4-4 as Light reached base on an error by the first baseman, allowing Prindle to score.

The game entered extra innings after being tied after seven innings, where designated hitter Brandon Sugar of LU hit a game-winning home run, leading LU to a 5-4 victory.

Game two of the series was not as dramatic as the first game of the day. After MSU tallied two runs in the top of the first inning on a triple by Brandon Weller, LU shut down the MSU offense.

LU was able to take the lead for good in the game in the third inning, as star first baseman Mike Failoni singled home Wade Rothermich and Zach Kurzejeski. LU would add two more insurance runs to win the game 5-2.

The first game played on Saturday forced LU to make a dramatic comeback. After the two teams were held scoreless for the first two innings, MSU tallied three runs in the third inning, including a run scoring double by Weller.

LU battled back, scoring a single run in the fourth inning, and tying the score an inning later, as Mike Wilson scored while Rothermich got himself into a run down between first and second base.

LU tallied a walk-off hit for the second day in a row an inning later, as Wilson singled home Marshall Vallandingham to give the Lions a 4-3 victory.

Lindenwood completed its comeback later in the day, as their offense got going early. They scored in three consecutive innings to begin the game, and jumped out to a 5-0 lead. Vallandingham tallied the most exciting run as he stole home in the second inning.

MSU made a comeback attempt by scoring three runs in the fourth inning, but the deficit was too large to overcome and LU won 7-3.

LU now has a record of 8-12 for the season and will continue its schedule with a game at home against Maryville University at home on Tuesday night at 6 p.m.

$575
$1000