LU Film Series review – “Mood Indigo”

photo from lindenwood.edu/film
photo from lindenwood.edu/film
photo from lindenwood.edu/film
photo from lindenwood.edu/film

Two Stars

Devin King | Staff Reporter
Published February 9, 2015; 12:37 p.m.

The French romance “Mood Indigo,” from Academy Award-winning director Michel Gondry, tells the story of the wealthy Colin (Romain Duris) and his wife, Chloe (Audrey Tautou). When Chloe becomes ill due to a flower growing in her lung, Colin relentlessly searches for a cure.

While the movie’s plot does toy with some interesting ideas and visually pleasing set pieces and costume design, “Mood Indigo’s” biggest problem is the large absence of substance in the script.  The story struggles to take off and causes the pacing to suffer significantly as a result.

The movie feels very Wes Anderson-esque, toying with visually pleasing set pieces and costume design. However, it does not have any charm or charisma going for it. With an incredibly bleak tone, the plot becomes increasingly more depressing as it goes on, but the poor writing cheapens many of its emotional moments. Fortunately, many will appreciate what this visual masterpiece accomplishes in cinematography.

This is a film that lacks substance in many areas, but is highly recommended for those interested in photography or cinematography.

“Mood Indigo” will be shown at Young Auditorium Saturday, February 14 at 7 p.m. as part of the LU Film Series.

$575
$1000