LU goes ‘heart healthy’ for Go Red Week

LU goes heart healthy for Go Red Week

Jason Wiese | Culture Editor
Feb. 8, 2016; 2 p.m.

For Go Red Week, which is occurring during February’s American Heart Month, the American Heart Association has partnered with Lindenwell, a program at Lindenwood University that promotes personal wellness and health.

To raise awareness and encourage students to participate in Go Red Week, which takes place Feb. 9-13, campus residence halls will be decorating their interiors in the color red. Lindenwood will also be hosting a series of events during Go Red Week to spread the message of the harmful effects of heart disease.

Photo graphic by Sandro Perrino
Graphic designed by Sandro Perrino

Melissa Baumgartner will speak about the importance of staying physically active, finding your motivation to be healthy and more on Monday, Feb. 8. Baumgartner is a certified personal trainer, group fitness instructor and lifestyle wellness coach who has been working in health and fitness for more than 20 years and currently works with Personal Assistance Services. The presentation at Lindenwood, which Baumgartner calls “Straight from the Heart” will take place in Harmon Hall, Room 131, at 12 p.m.

LindenWell will be hosting their annual Go Red Luncheon in the Hyland VIP Room Tuesday, Feb. 9 from 12-1 p.m. The event will include a free “heart healthy” meal, guest speakers and prizes.

On Friday, Feb. 12, students will be able to wear Go Red Heart Health T-Shirts, which are on sale until Feb. 12 during lunch hours at the Spellmann Center and the Evans Commons. Proceeds from the T-Shirts, which are $5 for students and $10 for faculty and staff, will be donated to a local AHA chapter and every purchase automatically enters the buyer into a raffle for a chance to win one of three Fitbits being given away during the week.

The LU women’s and men’s basketball teams will compete against Washburn University on Saturday, Feb. 13. A portion of the ticket sales of both games (the women’s team plays at 1 p.m. and the men’s team game starts at 3 p.m.) will be donated to a local AHA chapter. A pizza party will be awarded to the residence with the most students who attend the games.