Tuition to stay the same, other fees to increase next year

Photo by Nao Enomoto
Lindenwoods Spellmann Center, that houses classrooms, offices and one of the campus cafeterias.
Photo by Nao Enomoto Lindenwood’s Spellmann Center, that houses classrooms, offices and one of the campus cafeterias.

Phil Scherer | Legacy Managing Editor
March 3, 2016; 12:30 p.m.

Lindenwood's Spellmann Center, that houses classrooms, offices and one of the campus cafeterias. Photo by Nao Enomoto
Lindenwood’s Spellmann Center, that houses classrooms, offices and one of the campus cafeterias.
Photo by Nao Enomoto

The Lindenwood Board of Directors will not be increasing tuition for the 2016-17 school year but will be increasing the cost of room and board and adding an annual technology fee.

In a press release issued by the university, it was announced that tuition for residents will remain at $15,672 for the 2016-17 school year, but that room and board will be increased by $463 per semester, and an annual $300 technology fee will be added.

The total cost of room and board will be $8,500 for the year, which the university claims is on par with other universities in the immediate region.

As part of the multi-million dollar campus renovation that will take place over the summer, technology updates will take place, including a campus-wide technology refresh program, which accounts for the added technology fee.

TJ Rains, the vice president for information technology, said that the school will be eliminating the existing email fee. The university will also be eliminating the existing 10 percent surcharge fee for online students.

He explained that the new $300 fee will serve to work toward the university’s goal of replenishing all of the campus’s technology in the next five years to keep the university on the forefront of technology.

In the press release, Jim Shoemake, the chair of the Lindenwood Board of Directors, said that the Board is focused on “delivering an affordable, high-quality experience for students.”