Your guide for Labor Day weekend adventures

Photo from Pexels.com.
Photo from Pexels.com.

BY J.T. BUCHHEIT|CHIEF COPY EDITOR 

Students who are staying in town for the Labor Day weekend can choose from a series of events ranging from musical festivities to outdoor adventures. Here are some of the offerings:

St. Charles Community Big Band concert

A local jazz band will be playing at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 3 at Frontier Park. The St. Charles Big Band has been around since 1999 and performs at Frontier Park one Sunday per month. Admission to the event is free.

Creve Coeur Lake

Creve Coeur Lake is a hotspot for kayaking and paddleboarding. Participants must be at least 18 years of age. The lake opens for activities at 9 a.m. and closes one hour before sunset. For those who prefer to stay on land, the lake offers quadricycles and bicycles that can be used to tour the 5.6-mile-long lake path. Pricing details can be found on the website.

Magpie’s on Main events and live music

Bands and musicians will take the stage on Labor Day weekend at Magpie’s Restaurant in St. Charles. The Gaslight Squares jazz band will perform from 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 1. From 6 to 9 p.m. on Saturday, the acoustic rock duo Rod & Charlie will provide the music, while from noon to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Pierce Crask will play his tunes.

St. Charles Farmers Market

Anyone who is looking for some fresh produce to cook a Labor Day meal can stop by the Farmers Market. It will be open from 7 a.m. to noon on Sept. 2 in the Foundry Art Centre parking lot at the north end of Riverside Drive.

St. Charles trolley

Anyone wanting to tour St. Charles and see the attractions can get on the trolley at any of the eight stops around the city. International students and any other student who does not own a vehicle can explore the area without having to worry about transportation. The trolley goes through Main Street, Frenchtown, Ameristar Casino Resort & Spa, the St. Charles Convention Center, Streets of St. Charles and Mark Twain Village. The trolley operates from 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Sunday. The bus will be running rounds all day to pick people up at the eight locations offered.