Dance program hosts almost 60 students for High School Dance Day

Prospective students dance to a hip-hop routine for High School Dance Day. Almost 60 students from a dozen schools attended the workshop Friday.
Photo by Kayla Drake

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mlPxVShwg[/embedyt]

Video by Kayla Drake & Arin Froidl

KAYLA DRAKE | A&E Editor

The Lindenwood dance department welcomed 56 students from over a dozen local schools and studios for High School Dance Day on Friday.

Associate professor Tricia Zweier has been organizing this event for the past six years and originally got the idea from graduate school. She said inviting high school students is a great way for the dance program to connect to its surrounding community. Local schools such as Alton, Fort Zumwalt North, Francis Howell Central and Incarnate Word attended the workshop. 

The day consists of six classes in different styles of dance and interacting with dance faculty and students at Lindenwood. The styles comprises hip-hop, contemporary, improvisation, ballet, tap and musical theater, each taught by a different professor. 

Adjunct professor Amy Gammon taught the hip-hop class in the Lindenwood Theater.

“I teach because it’s a passion … it’s just a passion that’s kind of indescribable, but it’s something that I love to do and couldn’t be happier,” Gammon said. “I don’t consider it a job.”

Zweier added some new aspects to the day this year, including a sneak peek to the Fall Dance Concert that opened on Thursday. Additionally, the students had a chance to audition for the Lindenwood dance program, and 10 students took the opportunity. 

After the program ended, all of the high school students that attended got tickets to the Fall Dance Concert, which takes place on Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Lindenwood Theater.